15th March, 2016

The day was getting very dark; thanks to the beautiful and efficient supply of power in Borno, as well as the abundance of fuel. There was no electricity to at least turn on a light bulb or charge a non-solar torch.

I walked from the compound towards the house, and the moonlight was enough for me to tell the ground from any other thing that could have been on it. On reaching the house itself, I noticed— the door was wide open.

My husband must have come back without me knowing.

I found my way from the door to where I guessed was the sitting room, manoeuvred to the stairs and climbed up to a path that led to my husband's room.

I was still at the pathway when I saw that flickering light coming from that dreaded room. I calmly walked to the light source, and then he, my husband dearest, shone it right at me.

"Aleesa!"

His voice bounced around the darkness and silence of the night.

He continued,

"As you are coming, lie down on your stomach and crawl towards me! Zo! Come."

And just like that, shielding myself from the intense light, fell on my belly and crawled closer to him. I did not miss that silhouette of a big and tall man seated on a bed.

"Danlami," I let out.

How vexed could he be? What did I do wrong, now?  I prepared myself for the worst, but very possible.

"Me kin ce?" What did you say? "How dare you call me by my first name??!!"

I felt a blow strike my head from above, giving me a very sharp pain as my chin was abruptly slammed against the concrete floor.

"I'm sorry, Baba. Please forgive me, Baba," I managed to utter in a very low tone, hiding the fear that was increasing by each heartbeat, making my pulse quicken more and more.

I tried to look up to see the man I married, but I could feel his torch burning through me, as he purposely shone it directly into my eyes.

"Why is the generator not turned on?" He said in a lower tone.

"No fuel"

"And the inverter, why is it not turned on"

"No light to charge it"

"Raise your head higher"

I did as he told me to, I had no choice. I raised my head and avoided the light, trying to read his facial expressions. Since the light was directed at me, it was difficult to see the other side, where my husband, Danlami, was. I could not see his dark bony face, but I could clearly see him raise his right leg higher and higher, till it was right above my head and I braced myself for the anticipated.

Boom!

This time, the impact was worse; my chin hit the ground with so much force that I screamed loudly.

"Raise your head up again", he said with a very husky voice.

"Baba, I'm sorry", I was so close to crying but I couldn't; there was nothing to gain from that.

"I said, 'RAISE YOUR HEAD HIGHER!!' "

"Baba..."

Boom!!

This time, the pain was too unbearable for me to hold in tears.

"Raise your head higher", he commanded again.

"Please, Baba! Please...", I was crying too hard to even say the words clearly.

Boom!!!

I started crying with so much intensity, it was hard to breathe. When Baba started with his violence, he didn't stop— not until he was satisfied, and no begging could help matters. He eventually stopped after about the eighth assault, and I was feeling too dizzy to be fully aware of my surroundings.

I felt something wet on my chin as I struggled off the floor. The heat from the solar torch Danlami was holding and the absence of a moving fan were perfect reasons to be sweating. I moved my hand against my chin to wipe off the wetness off my face. It was so much pain. I had mistakenly mixed sweat with my bleeding injury. And I could that the floor was very wet just where my chin smacked the ground.

It hurt. What happened that night. And knowing my husband knew exactly what he was doing.

I stopped weeping, but I could still hear some sobbing noises from the background. I could see from the small opening of the door to our room. That must have been our only child, Hadissa. What if she saw everything?  My eyes met hers, and soon enough, she was out of sight.

Righ then, I knew the worst pain in the world: watching someone you love get seriously hurt, but having no power to save them.

************************************
Hey readers😁.... I hope the book has caught your interest already...
If yes, please vote or comment to keep me motivated to continue 😘

And yes, a very important note:

Pay very close attention to the Chapter Titles; the year changes from time to time back and forth, and I don't want to getting confused😊...

Read on😁...
Bye😘