39. For Whom The Bell Tolls

Začať od začiatku

"You have her features and you do seem to have her naivety", she stated in a soft voice, before her eyes cooled,"I hope you don't have her fate. Cristina's naivety caused a war, and if you aren't careful yours would too. She might be the woman who gave birth to you but never forget, your mother turned out to be your father's undoing."

Amara jerked away from the woman as if she was scorched, a fire burning in her amethyst eyes.

"How dare you'',she murmured, her voice low, "How dare you say a word against her? Who gave you the right to stand under my roof and speak ill of my mother?"

Reagan Callaghan lifted her imperious eyes from Amara and glanced over her shoulder.

"Amara!", she heard someone gasp her name and turned around to see Aunt Claire walking towards them, her lips pursed in a heavy frown.

"We don't speak to our guests so disrespectfully", she said once she had reached the pair, looking appalled. "Apologize to Lady Callaghan."

Amara looked at her aunt in disbelief.

"She insulted my mother", she informed her aunt in a quiet voice.

Aunt Claire's expression did not waver."That doesn't mean that you are disrespect her in return", she stated. "You must apologize to her."

"Claire", Reagan Callaghan interjected. "It's alright. She's just a little girl."

Amara bristled at her off handed comment.

"All the more reason for her to apologize to you", aunt Claire insisted, looking tensed. "Amara", she stated firmly, her eyes darting back to her.

Amara shook her head causing Claire's eyes to widen in shock.

"No", she murmured, becoming increasingly upset."Lady Callaghan disrespected my mother. I won't apologize. I won't..."

And with that she turned around and ran towards her room, trying to control the bitter tears that were pooling in her eyes.

But in her hurry to reach her sanctuary, Amara almost slammed into a girl coming from the opposite side of the corridor.

"Shit! This was such a bad idea...I shouldn't have had...",she heard the girl say but did not stop around to even look at her. She was afraid that if she stopped she wouldn't be able to hold the tears that were threatening to spill off her eyes.

Only once safely inside did she allow the tears to escape her eyes.

It upset Amara how the older woman had spoken about her mother.

A firm knock on her bedroom door made Amara jump on her spot. She ignored it but after the second knock she stood up, wiping her eyes before walking towards the door and opening it to see someone she had not expected in New York standing across from her.

"Matteo", Amara exclaimed, forgetting about Reagan Callaghan for a few moments, "What are you doing here?

"My assistance was required with some matters here, Ms. Amara", the man replied robotically.

Amara nodded distractedly, recollecting what she knew about the man.

Matteo was one of the Romero employee who very rarely left Italy for any matters. He was quite high ranked, considering how young he was and how less time he had served the business.

"Your diary Miss",he spoke suddenly, bringing Amara out of her revire. "You must have dropped it when you ran into that girl on your way here."