Part 1. The start of it all

Him.

That's all I want, him. I know it's silly of me to love somebody who by no chance will love me back. But I can't help it. He's perfect he's going to be mine. I guarantee it.

The summer of 1959 was the peak of many historical events that occurred. This is a time when JFK was still alive, Martin Luther King Malcom X. The list goes on. The summer of 1959 was also the year I met the love of my life.

Alabama, June 6, 1959

"Gona, come down its time to eat breakfast 'fo you late to school child!"

My mother shouted from down the stairs.

"Lady it's the last day of school no rush."

I mumble under my breath.

Due to it being very hard to find a good paying job as an African American in the 50's we lived in a 2 bedroom house.

I share one of the bedrooms with my mama and my two older sisters. And my brothers share the other bedroom with my father.

I am the youngest out of the sisters. Mama had 3 boys and 3 girls including Papa we have 8 in total.

"Eggs And Bacon."

I sigh.

"The usual."

I mumble after.

"You best not be saying none slick under yo' breath young lady!"

My mama flipped.

"Now eat cho' food."

"Yes ma'am."

I murmured while eating.

"Where's papa?"

I asked.

"His lazy ass still sleeping."

My mama replied scrubbing the egg pan with such force.

"Woah girl."

I thought but instead I said,

"Oh."

Because I wasn't trying to make her more mad then she already was.

"Well mama it's time 'fo me to go."

"Okay baby, just be safe don't listen to none of them rude remarks 'bout you. Come straight home when you done from school no meeting wit' nobody. You know out their a cold world it ain't safe baby an-."

"Mama, mama, I know."

I cut her off.

"I love you okay? I promise I'll come straight home like I've been doing for these past months."

I tease.

"Your a smart one huh?"

She said smiling while giving me a big kiss on my cheek and a hug.

"I got it from you Ma."

I say while closing the door leaving her stunned.

I make my way to school riding my bike until I only live 6 minutes away from it.

It's the last day of being a Junior and I couldn't be happier.

As I tie my bike to a tree. My best friend approaches me.

She's loud and silly, but that's why I love her.

She's my only friend in this school. And was my only friend throughout this whole year.

"Hey girl! How you doing?"

Elinor said.

"I'm fine girl! I can't believe it's the last day once the last bell rings we out."

I said.

"Ain't that right!" Eli said laughing.

"C'mon girl lets go."

She grabbed my hand.

"We can't be late to class."

She says.

If anything ever happens to her my world will fall apart.

"Hold up lemme get a drink real quick."

I said.

"Okay, But hurry up!"

I run to the drinking fountain looking down at my feet thinking about all the memories I had in this school. I take in everything because being black in the 50's you never know if tomorrow will come.

BOOM.

I see stars all around me.

"What the hell just happened."

I said while grabbing my head.

"You okay?"

I look up and see the prettiest man I ever laid eyes on.

"I—I'm fine"

I say attempting to get up.

He reaches out his hand. I take it and get up while dusting myself off.

I look around just to make sure he's talking to me. I mean I've never had a white person talk to me or even touch me with such a respectful manner.

"All I was trying to do was get a drink from the "Colored" drinking fountain."

I say.

I get a drink quickly and try to walk away.

He grabs my arm lightly.

"Hey, what's your name?"

He asks softly.

"Gona Jones."

I practically whisper.

"H-how about you?" I stammered.

"Timothée, Timothée Chalamet."

He replied.