t w e n t y o n e

• ❁ •

"I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually missed seeing you eating."

Jonghyun sat in front of me like some puppy who's waiting for his master to finish eating, occasionally throwing questions at me and telling me chew slowly.

"And I can't believe I missed your cooking," I told him once I gulped down my food.

"Aha!" He pointed a finger at me with a victorious smile. "So you do admit I'm a better cook than you are?"

"I never said that!" I exclaimed. "And don't you dare think you're better than me."

"But I am," He grinned slyly.

I snorted. "Right. Do I have to remind you of the time you tried cooking that pasta dish?"

"That was the best dish I ever made."

"And I was sent to the hospital." I deadpanned. "Because someone forgot to check the expiration date on the tomato sauce."

Jonghyun pouted. "Oh, c'mon. You can't use that on me every time! It was an accident!"

"An accident that made me stay in the hospital for a week."

"I said I was sorry!"

"Right."

"Why are you even making me feel so guilty about this? That happened four years ago!"

"Because I can." I playfully stuck my tongue out.

Then, the two of us shared a hearty laugh. It's been a while since I joked with Jonghyun so the feeling of actually laughing again feels so foreign. Nevertheless, I missed teasing him. We were an unlikely pair of siblings, him and I. We show our affections through endless bickering and banters.

"But I still make the best breakfast ever, right?" He gave me a wink.

"Absolutely," I beamed, feeling satisfied with all the food that made my tastebuds dance for joy. "Gosh, I feel like my stomach is going to explode."

He chuckled as he shook his head, "So, what's new with you?"

"Nothing much," I shrugged. "I'm still my old boring self."

At that, Jonghyun raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure? Something's different with you."

Then, he began to study my face which made me furrow my brows in confusion. Perhaps I look uglier? Or unpleasant? It was hard to tell. I could barely recall the last time I saw my reflection in my mirror.

"Do I look prettier?" I joked as I pushed my hair back and batted my eyelashes.

Jonghyun snapped in fingers, "Ah! I know! You look older now!"

Wow.

"And you don't? You're older than me, in case you forgot." I scoffed in disbelief. All I got from him was a hysterical fit of laughter.

"Fortunately, I inherited Mom's youthful looks." He claimed, posing as if he was a magazine model.

I snorted once again. But he had a point. Jonghyun's age was difficult to tell for anyone who doesn't know him. Let's just say that he has the mind set of a five year old kid and was blessed with a baby face. And he was proud of it, obviously.

"Yeah, but you got Dad's terrible cooking skills." I retorted.

His smile fell as he frowned at me. "You're raining on my parade."

I simply shrugged. "Just saying the truth."

"Wah, this is what I get after cooking for you?" he acted as if he was offended with what I said and placed his hand to his chest.