s i x t e e n

• ❁ •

"This subscriber cannot be reached. Please try again later."

For the hundredth time, I pressed the call again button and swore under my breath. The same female robotic answered which was starting to irritated me. Groaning in frustration, I shut my phone off and shoved it back in my pocket.

For what is worth, today absolutely didn't go according to plan. Series of unfortunate and unexpected events occurred which led to this rather confusing situation.

"Still can't reach him?" Minhyun asked, noticing my distressed state.

"I don't know why he's not picking up," I huffed in annoyance. The fact that it's been a long day and I was tired and physically drained didn't help at all.

After that incident earlier, reinforcements came on the spot as the manager of the store called them in. The drunk middle-aged man was brought to police station along with Minhyun and I. It was mandatory for us to report the case since we were witness and almost became victims.

In the end, I decided not to press charges on the man despite Minhyun's protest thrown in my way. Although his unconscious self had to be detained for twenty four hours before he gets released for public indecency. Why I made that choice, I don't know. Maybe the guy is having a tough time like everyone else. He just needs a break, I told Minhyun.

"But that doesn't change the fact that he tried to hurt you." Minhyun pointed out sternly, clearly against my choice.

"He was under the influence of alcohol." I reminded, standing on my ground.

"That's not an excuse, Danri."

I have to admit, I was taken aback with his response. Even before when he protected me from harm back there.

"Minhyun, please don't argue with me on this one," I begged. "I'm too tired to even think about it."

Thankfully, Minhyun was silenced by that statement and didn't talk after that conversation, which made me feel guilty inside. He was only concerned yet I pushed him away.

We stayed in the police station for half an hour or so until the culprit finally came around. This time, he sounded more sober and confused as ever when he woke up in a cell.

"I'm so sorry. I deeply apologize, Miss. I don't know what's gotten into me." The irony in that moment was so strong. Funny how I used the same line earlier.

When the officer interrogated him, he admitted to his fault and apologized several times. And by several, I mean a lot. Then, he explained why he did what he did while we listened intently. Minhyun begrudingly did so but I could tell he was beginning to sympathize with the poor adult.

Although, he was spared from spending eight months in prison, his explainations don't justify his actions, nor is he excempted from his wrong doings. All in all, everything was settled and everyone got what they wanted respectively.

The only thing that played in my mind was; how the heck am I going to explain all of this to Daniel?

"This won't do," Minhyun breathed as he sprang onto his feet. "You can't just wait for him forever. It's getting late."

Too late. It was almost midnight. And I was getting hungry.

I sighed in defeat. Too exhausted to even come up with a reply. "I'll just walk home."

"After everything that's happened to you today?" Minhyun exclaimed incredulously.

I blinked several times before slowly nodded my head.