Part 46 - July 7th (cont'd)

Start from the beginning

"I love it!" Lucy replied enthusiastically, "It's a really catchy tune! The words are good too...I like the sentiment it tells you."

"The words are Klaus' Lucy love."

"Paul came up with the melody though." Klaus grinned at her.

She looked at the two men and their obvious excitement and enjoyment. The change in Paul especially was wonderful to see.

"You know something," she said softly, "it needs the heavy thump thump of the bass drum on the beat. Not the piano."

"You think?" Klaus asked, "Sounds an interesting idea. Let's try it Paul."

"Yeah, OK." Paul grinned at Lucy.

She got up from the piano and went to the drum kit in the corner of the room.

"OK." said Klaus, guitar ready, "1,2,3,4!"

With Lucy maintaining the heavy drum beat, the two men sang. The combination of voices and two guitars emphasised the words and melody more. The song sounded even more brilliant!

"It's amazing!" said Lucy excitedly, "You must record it! It'd make a cool single!" Paul looked at her. "What? Well I think it would make a great single! What do you think Klaus?"

"Lucy has a point Paul."

Paul scowled at Lucy.

"See, it's not just me that knows it's a good song," said Lucy, still excited. "What's stopping you?"

"Lucy!" Paul looked sternly at her.

"But it's..."

"LUCY! DROP IT!"

She closed her mouth and looked at him. She could see he was annoyed. Standing up, she turned her attention back to Klaus.

"I think I'll head back. I have ironing to finish." Lucy smiled at him, "Thanks for sharing that with me Klaus."

"No problem." Klaus nodded politely to her, clearly uncomfortable with the tension between Paul and Lucy.

Lucy left the room with no further comment, leaving Paul still angry.

"Paul, I think I'll make a move now mate." said Klaus quietly, "I've had a fabulous day. Thanks."

"I thought you were going to stay over Klaus mate, so we can carry on tomorrow?"

"I was," he looked at Paul, "I just think understand the circumstances, I don't want to cause trouble between you and Lucy." He began to pack up his belongings.

"Klaus don't."

Klaus gave him a brief smile. "Paul, you've just embarrassed your wife in front of me. You've made me feel very uncomfortable. It's for the best."

"Hang on!" Paul went to the door. "Lucy!" he called, "Lucy love!"

Lucy appeared from the kitchen. "Yes?"

"Lucy, I'm sorry. I snapped at you when there was no need. Forgive me baby."

She stared at him for a moment but then nodded. "It's OK. I'm sorry I upset you. It's just that I could see how much you were enjoying yourself with Klaus. I like to see you happy."

Paul nodded. "I know. And you're right." He turned to Klaus who had walked to the doorway, "And I'm sorry for causing you top feel embarrassed too Klaus mate. Really I am," He looked to Lucy again before turning back to Klaus, "I guess I'm still adjusting after the break up and stuff. I'm sorry for being such a dick to both of you!"

Lucy started to laugh. "That's one way to put it!" She gave Paul a quick kiss. "Go make music McCartney!" she told him before heading back into the kitchen.

Paul went back in to the room with Klaus.

"Can I ask you something Paul?"

Paul looked up. "Sure."

"We both know that Lucy's right. It's a good song and it could do well?"

Paul nodded.

"So why not record it?" he asked softly. "We've been friends a long time. I know just how much music and performing means to you. What's the real issue Paul? Is it me?"

"Lord no Klaus!" exclaimed Paul, "It's definitely not you!"

"Ok. So what is it?"

"I told you, I promised Lucy I'd be here to help whilst the kids are little. Three kids under two is hard work!"

"She seems perfectly happy to have had them all day today Paul. Is that really the Only reason?"

Looking thoughtful, Paul gently strummed his guitar. "It scares me I suppose."

"You're scared? Why?"

"When I released McCartney, everything was scrutinised and compared with John's work or The Beatles. I knew it would be but I hadn't expected it to be as bad as it was. They said without John I wasn't as good." He paused, "If we release this song, and it's a hit then that'll just confirm what everyone's thinking. I am crap on my own. I need John or you to carry me."

"That's mad Paul!" said Klaus quietly, "It was obvious even right back in Hamburg, that you were more talented than John .Yes, together you were amazing but you can be amazing either with someone else or on your own too."

"You think?"

"Definitely!" Klaus smiled, "And its obvious Lucy thinks so too. Maybe it's time to stop being so down on yourself. Like the song says....Love, understanding and positivity. Lucy loves you. We both understand you. You need the positivity now!"

Before the conversation could continue, they was a knock on the door. It opened and Lucy came in.

"Sorry to disturb you both. It's now 9.30pm Paul. I've made some snacks and left them in the fridge for you both. I'm off to bed now."

Paul smiled at his wife. Even after being so irritable with her earlier, she still thought of him! "Oh, thanks baby!" He got up and hugged her, "You are a gem!"

Lucy grinned. "And you're a charmer McCartney! I don't know why I fall for it!"