Murphy: Dropship

It was just a regular day. I woke up, went to school, ate lunch, hung out with my neighbor and then went home to tell my parents about my day while eating dinner with them. Except it wasn't a regular day. I didn't know my whole life would change after that day.
Usually, after school I would go to my neighbors and hangout with their son John Murphy. My parents were doctors so they were always busy.
John and I would always sit by the door and wait for my parents every night. But today, they didn't come. That night I was scared. I didn't know what happened to them. In order to calm me down, John found his old Ice Bear Plush and let me hug it.

 In order to calm me down, John found his old Ice Bear Plush and let me hug it

Having it made me relax a little. Eventually, we both fell asleep next to the door. About ten minutes later, Mr. Murphy barged into the room with panic in his eyes.
John and I woke up with a start and looked at him with confusion.
Men don't cry a lot but Mr. Murphy had tears in his eyes. He quickly picked me up and told John to follow him. He ran up and down the hallways until we reached a room.
Chancellor Jaha was there and so were my parents and the council members in addition to  four guards. I tried to run to my parents but there was a thick wall of glass between. I turned around to see a big red button under Chancellor Jaha's hand. I suddenly realized what was happening.
I started to cry. I didn't want to lose them. I would have nobody. My parents had tears that streamed down their faces. I pressed my hand against the glass. They did too. I was going to turn away. I could not bother to see my parents floated. However I couldn't turn my head no matter how hard I tried.
In the back, I hear Mr. Murphy screaming and begging the council to stop making me watch. My heart was already hurting that my parents were being floated. I now had to watch them get floated. My cries became sobs anxiously waiting for it to be over.
"Shannon sweetie, mommy and daddy loves you okay never forget that," my mother comforted.
"Remember what we practiced buttercup? Can you recite it for daddy?" my dad suggested.
I nodded my head and recited, "In peace, may you leave the shore. In love may you find the next. Safe passage on your travels until our final journey to the ground..." That was it... Jaha pressed the button... I didn't even get to finish. They were gone forever. "May we meet again," came out as a whimper.
I was six. At the age of six, I watched my parents be floated. I crumpled to the ground sobbing. Everyone left except for Mr. Murphy and John. John hugged me and helped me to my feet. There was no certainty of who would take care of me now. I hope it would be the Murphy's.
One thing that was certain was the unjust the council members did. Did a six year old kid really have to watch their parents get floated to make sure that this type of situation doesn't happen again? What situation even occurred? I don't hate people I have no hate bone in my body. But that day changed. I hated the council. I hated the people who floated my parents and made me watch. I was never the same innocent girl again.
I found a little happiness again when I was adopted by a couple from Farm Station. I moved away from John, but that didn't stop us from hanging out. One day, he gave me his Ice Bear Plush and I keep it with me everywhere I go.

~Ten Years Later~

     "Doctor Griffin could I speak with you," I asked as I walked briskly to Abbey.
     "Yes Shannon? Do you need something?" Abbey chuckled as she saw my stuffed bear.
     "There's something wrong with The Ark isn't there?" I whispered. She placed her index finger over her lips. Abbey then wrote on a piece of paper and handed it to me. "Meet me in my quarters after dinner. It's not the time for this right now," It read. I looked at her and nodded and walked around the corner.
I checked back as she walked down the hall and turned left. She was waking to the drop ship. They had begun building it around a year ago when Clarke went missing. That was when I figured something was wrong.
I had at least a months supply hidden in that drop ship. If anyone was going to survive, it had to be John. I had no problem with death. I wasn't scared.
     I quickly walked into my room. My parents weren't home.--They were dead. Floated because they killed people in their sleep. The people they drugged were criminals. Instead of Floating them, they tranquilized them and killed them. It turns out that they worked with my parents.
     I packed some dry food I saved from the past month. Water that probably could've kept me out of the hospital wing a multiple of times. Some first aid and the stuffed bear Murphy gave me. I left the bag next to the door as I walked out.
Gosh I miss him. I still went to his room after I moved. I carried the stuffed animal everywhere. He'd tease me because I was too old to carry it around. But now that he is in the the prison block, the bear meant more to me than anything else.
Some time later, I walked to The Griffin's and knocked on the door. Abbey opened the door and allowed me to walk in. She closed the door after checking if it was safe to talk.
"How do you know about the Ark?" Abbey started.
"I did research. The human body is 65 to 75 percent water. It is also a non-replenishing resource. Just throwing out a body would mean losing at least 5 gallons of water," I ranted. "The International Space Station launched 150 years ago. Their water recycling system has a 93% efficiency rate.[1] Now, I'm not sure how much The Arks recycling rate is but if it's like the ISS, 97 years in, there would be .09% of water left. If you ration the people to 2 gallons a day per household you still have about 2-3 months of water. This only considers that you don't recycle the dead bodies for resources, which is not a problem because we already do that. It just excludes the Floated. Even so, it gives you an extra month or so. The people have at least 5 months of water left Abbey. On top of that, we have at least 6 months of oxygen left. 2 system failures," I concluded. Abbey had a look of shock and confusion on her face. "Clarke told me about the oxygen problem. Now you have to worry about water too".
I quickly ran to my room and grabbed my bag. I ran past the infirmary and I ran past the dining hall turned left and went into a restricted area. I got in my using Abbey's badge-- that I stole. There was the drop-ship. I went to the second floor and hid the backpack underneath the floorboards. Then I ran to the dining hall, where a few people remained.
     The Ark was just a circle. I couldn't hide for long. I let myself be found.
     "Shannon Lee, you are under arrest for trespassing into a prison cell and speaking to prisoner 319. Under no circumstances was prisoner 319 to speak with any visitor," The guard authorized. They dragged me to the prison block and took me to a room. Once I was in front of the door, they pushed me in and closed the door.
     "Idiots, I've only spoke to Clarke once for a history project," I smirked.
     "Well the bird didn't fall too far from the tree," A voice spoke. "How many delinquents are there that they had to put you and I in the same room?" I turned around and a smile was plastered on the person's face.
     "Johnathan!" I exclaimed as I hugged him. "Its apple not bird. But I digress. This is the closet holding cell to the entrance. They aren't going to need it tomorrow. They are sending us to the ground".
     "A wise person once told me 'If we die, we die together'" Murphy smiled. "Wait how did you even find out that's some pretty classified stuff".
     "Chemistry, engineering, percent yield, some good old stalking, stealing, lies, And I was an intern as a Control Room Operator. " I boasted.
     "Badass! Are you still lugging that bear around?" Murphy inquired as he wrapped his arms around my waist.
     "It's in one of the floor boards of the drop-ship," I responded as I encircled my arms around his neck. I smiled at him and he quickly pecked me on my lips and went to bed.
     "We should get some sleep. Tomorrow's a big day!" He reasoned. "Goodnight. I love you".
     "Goodnight I love you too," I echoed as I climbed up the bunk bed. I stared at the ceiling and smiled, "...safe passage on your travels until our final journey to the ground".
     "May we meet again," Murphy finished.

[1]- Dunbar, Brian. "Recycling Water Is Not Just for Earth Anymore." NASA. NASA, 17 Nov. 2008. Web. 09 Mar. 2018.