Solutions: Chapter 11: She's who?

Barnabas paused by the huge tree, his nostrils flared. Strong flower scents filled the night, along with the musty scent of reptiles. Huge hearts beat and he could hear every thud as the giant creatures moved through the forest. He longed to take wing, but the small bat form would not help with the hunt.

Inching slowly forward he spied a young carnosaur, its tan colored hide meant to conceal what Barnabas could see so clearly. He sprang landing on the predator's back and sank his fangs into the throbbing major vein. It screamed in pain and tried to dislodge him. His arms encircled the neck and he drank, savoring the thick, hot liquid pouring into him, filling him with warm life.

Sated at last, he released the animal. It shook its head and wobbled on its feet before escaping into the thick jungle growth. He had not doubt the creature would survive, if something larger didn't hunt and kill it.

His gaze drifted upward to the large moon hanging above. Closing his eyes, the image lingered in his mind. Part of him wondered what it would like years into the future, after Terra Nova vanished into legend and he alone survived.

With a deep sigh, he made his way back to camp, stopping to wash off the evidence of his hunt in a nearby creek. He passed the sentries unnoticed and slipped into the tent he'd been assigned. Dawn wouldn't be for a few hours yet and he wondered how he'd pass the time.

Sheba stuck her head in and growled at him. He froze, knowing the sabre cat could endanger his disguise, since he wished only to pass as human.

"Hey." Laura appeared, her thin fingers grabbing the cat by its scruff. "Sorry Barnabas. She's been restless tonight."

"It's all right, Laura." He relaxed as the feline was extracted.

His cousin ducked in. "Successful hunt?"

"Yes." He had not need to go into detail.

"Good. Night." She left.

"I should have brought a book," he mumbled.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"You're up late, Miss Collins," Taylor greeted the woman.

"As are you, Commander." She pointed to the cat as it nosed through some underbrush. "Sheba is restless and I don't dare leave her on her own."

"How do you mange in the colony?" He leaned down, poured himself some coffee and sat on the log. The fire crackled and he enjoyed the familiar sound.

"Routine." Laura sat on the log next to him, her eyes never leaving the tawny form.

"Is its tail supposed to be that short?" He took a sip waiting for her answer.

"Yes. Most of their power is in their front limbs and sharp fangs. They're designed to bring down large mammals."

"I wonder how she'd do against a carno."

"I'm hoping that never happens."

He took another drink. "I see your cousin made it back to camp."

"He did." She got up. "Come on, Sheba."

The sabre cat snarled at her.

"Yes, I'm sure that's more interesting, but I'd like to get some sleep. Come on."

Reluctantly the feline followed the woman into their tent and Taylor heard the entrance zipped closed. He finished his coffee and went to check on his soldiers. Later, he'd ask more questions on how Barnabas Collins managed to get back into camp without alerting anyone.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Elisabeth sat holding her husband's hand, sounds of the infirmary behind her, terrified he wasn't going to make it. When she'd found him, he'd been lying so still she thought he'd died in the explosion. How thankful she'd been to find Jim had a pulse and had been breathing.

The same couldn't be said for Kara. It had broken her heart when she'd told Josh his girlfriend had died. He'd retreated to his room and barely came out to eat. Maddy and Zoe were trying to console him, but he'd lost the girl he loved and had worked so hard to get to Terra Nova. She didn't have all the pieces on how he'd managed it, but knew it had cost him dearly.

"Come on, Jim," she breathed, dreading having to tell their children they'd lost their father. "You have to make it. We need you."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Morning dawned early in the jungle. Sounds of unfamiliar creatures met Allen's ears and he groaned as he pulled himself up. Sienna still slept, her arm tucked up under her head, her face peaceful and innocent.

Quietly he rose and dressed, stepping out into the light. Laura sat on the log feeding the cat. A pot sat on the fire and he caught the whiff of coffee.

"Help yourself." Laura didn't look up.

"Thank you." He poured himself a cup and sat down watching his cousin with the feline. "Where'd you find that?"

"Bola did." She allowed a long pink tongue to clean her hands. "Good girl."

"Hmmm." He took a sip. The bitter liquid burned his tongue.

"Morning," the commander's voice greeted, helping himself to a cup. "How'd you sleep?"

Allen chuckled with no humor. "I'm not used to sleeping on the ground."

Laura smiled. Despite not wearing any makeup, she was beautiful woman. He wondered how his cousin had managed to stay single.

"It's not so bad, cousin, after you get used to it."

"I'm hoping it's not long." He missed the comfort of a real bed.

Taylor gave him a measuring look. "So, Sienna is your daughter."

"Yes. And since you're not family,"

"Allen," Laura's tone warned.

"Let's just say I knew her mother for a short time."

"I see." Taylor leaned forward. "And just who is her mother?"

"She came here on the Sixth Pilgrimage."

"Uh, huh." Taylor took a sip and waited expectantly. It made Allen angry.

"How do you know?" Laura asked.

"We might not have been together, but I did keep track of her. I just wish she'd contacted me. I could have helped."

"The advantage of money." Laura sounded bitter.

"I never heard you complain."

"I'm not. Just some of the things we did with it."

"Who is Sienna's mother?" Taylor pushed.

Allen sighed, "Mira."