Solutions: Chapter 3: Was it Worth it?

The grand house of Collinwood had fallen into disrepair over the past few years. Between the elements and the dying planet, there seemed no point in keeping it up. Granted, the family had been rich enough to buy their own dome, which included the entire village of Collinsport. Still, Allen had to wonder if the expense had been worth it.

He glanced at his elderly father dozing in a worn velvet chair before the fireplace they had adapted to use an alternate heat method. It warmed the room, but he could see the faded dull white wallpaper, the ragged colorful rugs and the fading glory of a once influential and proud founding family.

We should have gone with the rest of the family to Terra Nova.

He sipped his brandy taken from one of the last bottles in their wine cellar. When he'd been younger, the shelves had always been full. Their supply had dwindled and with the just two of them, he saw no reason to keep it fully stocked.

His father murmured and shifted restlessly. When had he gotten so gray? There seemed to be more lines on his face and it took him longer to get up and down the stairs.

Maybe I should close off the upper floor and move our bedrooms to the main level.The move would solve many problems and prevent his father from injuring himself or falling.

Taking a last drink, Allen studied his reflection in the glass. His dark hair had begun to turn gray at his temples making him look distinguished. A few lines radiated from his gray eyes. His once tanned oval face had paled since barely any sunshine got through the thick dark dust.

He put his glass on the sideboard and gently woke his father. "Father, wake up. We need to go to bed."

"What?" His father slowly blinked. "Allen?"

"I'm here."

"Where are the girls?" He looked around for them, panic in his tone.

His father's memory was disappearing and it saddened Allen.

"They went to Terra Nova."

"Terra Nova? Where is that?"

"A long way from here." No need to add any confusion by trying to explain it was eighty-five million years in the past and an alternate time stream. Or so the scientists had claimed.

Why do I doubt that? He wondered as he helped his father up and through the dark and quiet house, where only the ghosts now wandered.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"What do you have there?" Elisabeth Shannon met Laura near the door.

The infirmary didn't quite smell like a hospital in 2149. It had a faint flowery scent and more windows with sunshine than any place she remembered ever visiting.

"I have a dying cub and need to see if it's injured."

"A cub?" The doctor gave her an odd look. Dr. Shannon had an exotic beauty with dark hair and eyes. Laura had no idea what mix she might be.

"Yes."

"Bring it here." Turning on one of the beds, she waited.

Carefully Laura unwrapped the barely moving cub. Its sides moved in and out, so it was still alive.

"Where did you find this?" The images popped up over the bed showing the inside of the sabre cat. Heart, lungs, bones, all where they were supposed to be.

"Bola found it."

"That's one of the brachiosaurus right?"

"Yeah. He's been the most curious about me."

"Met you at the gate today from what I heard." The other woman sounded amused.

"First time he's done that."

"Hum."

"What is that?" A teen with sun bleached hair and in blue scrubs joined them.

"It's a sabre cat." Laura frowned. "Skye right?"

"Yeah." She leaned down. "Where'd you find it?"

"Bola found it in the jungle. Its mother and sibling were both dead."

"Well," Doctor Shannon said, "I can tell you it's a female and other then being dehydrated, nothing else seems to be wrong. I recommend fluids."

"I planned on feeding it, but I'm not sure what."

"Skye," the doctor ordered. "Run over to the mess hall and see if they've got some dry or evaporated milk ."

"Sure thing." Skye dashed out.

Dark eyes looked at her. "It's not supposed to be here, is it?"

"No." Laura sighed. "So we have a mystery and no idea on where to start."

"My husband might be able to help you with that."

Laura knew all about the new sheriff. "He might. First, I want to get this little one healthy."

"And then what?"

"Figure it out when I get there."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Barnabas roused as the sun dropped and night took over. Slowly he stretched, happy to be resting in a bed rather than a coffin. Light faintly snuck under his blinds and he smiled.

Rising, he quickly bathed, changing into light cotton clothes, not as fancy as those he was so used to wearing. He helped himself to a glass of dinosaur blood, the cool liquid reviving him even more.

When he finished, he stepped out of his bungalow, noticing the cousins seemed to be home, their laughter echoing outside and the smells of dinner drifting in the warm damp air. Stepping out into the night, he headed for Boylan's.

He nodded at fellow Terra Novans as he passed. Seemed odd to him that he no longer caused a fearful reaction, as he had back in Collinsport. The old legends had never left and he'd lived with the stigma for several hundred years.

The bar was busy. Soldiers sat at several tables, some drinking, some playing cards. A few others leaned against the bar sipping whatever concoction Boylan had created. He took a seat near the edge where he could watch.

Boylan himself presided at the bar, pouring drinks and smiling at his customers. Josh Shannon, son of the new sheriff, swept the stairs. The teen had the look of his mother and the personality like his father, if what Barnabas had heard was correct.

"Hi there," Boylan's voice pulled Barnabas's attention to the owner. "Not that I'm complaining, but you come in here every night, order a drink that you don't touch and always leave a terra on the table."

"And?"

"And, I'm just curious if you're not a drinking man, why you come here?" The rotund man wore a wild flowered top and tan pants giving him the look of a man on vacation.

A faint smile touched his thin lips. "I like the atmosphere."

Boylan's eyes narrowed as if considering his answer. "Okay. Fair enough." He turned to leave, snapping his fingers as if he'd just remembered something. "That cousin of yours, Laura, rode back this afternoon on that dinosaur she calls Bola."

He found that intriguing. She'd been working toward the outcome for several months.

"Came back with some sort of critter. Not sure what."

Laura must have made a discovery or else brought back one of the hatchlings. "Interesting."

"Yeah." The owner smiled. "I'll get your drink right over."

"Thank you." He leaned back, prepared to enjoy the evening and work out the solution of his cousin's early return later.