Solutions: Chapter 8: This is what family is about, isn't it?

The child sitting on the leather seat glanced at Allen shyly, before looking out the window. He had to admit she looked like her mother, dark hair and eyes, her skin more of a caramel color. Her cheeks and nose she must have gotten from him. He had not doubt Sienna was a Collins.

She looked at him again, twisting the doll in her hands. "You really taking me to see my momma?"

"Yes." A slight rancid odor reached his nose. The girl would need a bath and definitely some new clothes. Luckily he'd engaged a nanny to care for Sienna until they were ready to leave. "We'll be staying at my penthouse for a short time."

"What's that?"

"A penthouse?"

"Uh, huh."

"It's like an apartment only it's larger and looks out over the city."

"Oh."

"It has a nice view." For the price he paid for it, he'd made certain of that. A small park had been placed below the building and the dome kept all the dirty air out.

"How long we gonna be there?"

"Just until the Eleventh Pilgrimage leaves."

"Can I take my doll?" She held it up for his inspection.

It had seen better days, yet he remembered his own daughters had toys they wouldn't part with at her age, no matter what condition they were in. He'd have the nanny clean it as well. "Of course."

She smiled and sat back, sometimes gazing out the window. Sienna looked a little thin. He added a doctor's visit to his list of things to do for her.

The driver slowed, turning the car into the underground garage. Allen had paid for a spot so he always had a place to park it. The car eased into it.

"Thank you." He handed a sizable envelope to the man.

Looking surprised, the driver took it.

"You've done a good job for me."

"You're welcome, Mr. Collins."

"Come Sienna," he took the child's hand. "This is going to be your new home until we join your mother."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

"The child's been ill," the doctor reported as he put his equipment away. "Give her this." He handed Allen a bottle of medication. "It'll help clear the last of it."

"Will she be strong enough to go through the portal?" His plan would come to naught if he couldn't take the child.

"She'll be fine."

"Thank you, doctor. I appreciate the house call."

The older man chuckled. He wore an expensive jacket and pants, his silver hair neatly combed. "Anytime, Mr. Collins."

"Here." Allen handed over a thick envelope. "This should cover your fee."

"And then some." The doctor took his payment. "Good day, sir. I'll see myself out."

Tapping the bottle lid, Allen fumed. Mira should have come to him and asked for help. She'd always been stubborn and independent. Wouldn't even take his help when he'd offered to buy her way out of prison after he'd bribed officials to let him go free.

He walked into the main living room. Sienna sat on the floor, her doll all dressed up in a new dress he'd bought for it. The child herself wore pants and a top, her hair braided back. The nanny he'd hired sat close by watching. He'd insisted on a grandmotherly type. The agency he'd used delivered.