• 13 •

Brenda

Brenda

"Love is always understanding"

I was waiting back at Aaron's place. Pacing the floors. He was in court. I hoped that he did what I told him to do. The plan was perfect to get Keegan out of his life once and for all. No way in hell was I going to allow Aaron to go out on the town with the skank for any reason.

I knew something was wrong when he upped and left like he had. I never was so worried. We just got together. It had not made sense that he would just leave.

Then he called Sailor and my mother. He showed he cared. About me. And about us. I smile. I look around his place. It was the first time I saw his home out here in Washington.

I could see myself being happy here with him. It did need a bit of a woman's touch though If he allowed that. He might. He was Aaron. He was kind and caring.

I begin to pick up his stuff around his place. Bachelor pad indeed. He has dirty clothing laying here and there. I wondered what the bedroom looked like.

I knew I should wait for him to show me around me. But I could not help myself. Everything was going on so fast. I was just curious to know how Aaron lived before me. If he was happier without me? He said he never was. But guys lie sometimes. Right?

I head to his bedroom. The bed was unmade. I tidy up his bed. Make it for him. I clean up his bathroom for him. Everything was looking better. Then I notice it.

A photo of us on our graduation day. Our very last photo together. He had all photos of us on his dresser. Tears water in my eyes. How lonely he must have been inside. Just as I was all these years over him.

We were both wearing our graduation gowns. He was hugging me. Holding me close. We had big smiles on our faces. How I had wished he had kissed me that day. I was so tempted that day to tell him that I was in love with him before he went off the college.

But then I knew he would meet smart college girls. Smarter than I was. I did not want to hold him down. Hold him back. So, I had not told him that day that I was in love with him. I touch the frame. He sure showed here he loved me. He missed me like he said he had.

I look at the old photos. I had copies of them to. But they were hidden away because they had been to painful for me to look at. I glance over near the floor.

There was a dog stuffed animal on the floor. Conner! That was the dog I won for Aaron a long time ago at a carnival we went to the last summer we shared together before we went our separate ways. I pick it up off the floor. It must have been hidden in the sheets of the bed.

He kept Conner after all these years. I hug the stuffed animal to my chest. Tears of joy flood in me. This whole time we could have been together if we only had connected. Had tried to speak to one another. We both loved each other this whole time. We waisted so many years. I shake my head. I place Conner in the middle of the bed. I sit on the bed. I was willing to move out here with Aaron. If he needed me out here. I wanted to stay by his side.