• 3 •

Brenda

Brenda

"Love is a balance"

Things were going fairly well being back home again. My new job was at least enjoyable. Mrs. Hanson was showing me the ropes before she left for her trip out to see her daughter. I did not mind making cupcakes.

Taking orders for weddings and baby showers there in Heaven Creek. My new coworker was around my age. She had grown up over in River Crest right next to us. She moved over here to be with her boyfriend when they found out they were having a baby on the way.

I was redoing my whole room. First, I was taking down all my old posters. And then I was taking down all the old nerdy high school mementos that I saved that reminded me of Aaron.

Out of sight and out of mind as one might say. I sigh as I take down the last item on my wall. I tossed it all in a box because my mother was a pack rat who wanted to keep it all. God only knew why! I shake my head.

There was an old photo of Aaron I forgot that Melody had taken of us. I knew this night clearly. Aaron came over before Halloween. He rented movies for us to watch because I was having to miss out on a date to babysit the pain in the butt Melody. He even went out of his way to rent Melody's favorite movie to that night....

Flash Back.....

"Aaron is here mom! I ordered the pizza!" I call out to mother as I let Aaron inside. He beams a smile as he pushes up his dark Clark Kent type of glasses.

"Alright we will be out awhile. Are you sure you are going to be safe?" worries mother.

"Mom I have watched Melody a dozen times before. What makes tonight any different?" I ask her. She smiles.

"You girls are so grown up these days! You do not need your old mom any more" laughs mother as a tear shines in her eyes.

"Mom do not be silly! I do need you! Besides who else will do my laundry?" I joke with her. She groans as she shakes her head.

"Good to see you Aaron! Look out for my best girls" dad tells Aaron as he slaps his arm a little to hard. Aaron had just got back from homework.

I could tell. He had his pencil behind his ear. His curly black hair stuck up all over the place. His old faithful jean jacket with a plain black shirt. Jeans. Tennis shoes. He never was one to dress up. Not that I minded at that time.

"Have fun kids! Brenda, you know where to call me!" mom calls out once dad was dragging her out the door.

"You would think I am going to burn the house down or something" I crack a joke. Aaron chuckles with that adorable grin on his face that won my heart.

"So, Winters what movies did you rent?" I ask him.

He digs movies out of his back pack. He hands them over to me.