{Ch 10}

"So on fire, so in love

Way back when we couldn't get enough."
-Brad Paisley/Carrie Underwood, Remind Me
~~~~~

Adrien P.O.V.

I almost melted on the spot, completely entranced by his intoxicating presence. Instead, as quickly as it started, I pulled away. This couldn't happen, it wouldn't work. He was fresh out of a relationship and it was all my fault. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that Leo broke a poor girl's heart and got exactly what he wanted right afterwards. Plus, there were other reasons to my decision.

"I want you, Adrien. All of you, every day, for the rest of my life. Please." He pleaded with me, dripping eyes full of longing.

I shook my head vigorously, "No. Leo, as much as I want to, I can't. It isn't right."

He scoffed, releasing his grip from my fragile wrists before they snapped under his disappointment. "It isn't right? Adrien, do you remember the way it felt? When I was with you all I could think about was how lucky I was that it was you I ran into! God, if it was anyone else, I don't know what I'd be doing right now. But it wouldn't be this, and I wouldn't want to hold you in my arms and tell you that you're wanted like I desire to do so badly."

I turned away from him, the only way to ease my craving. He was my everything, and I couldn't handle seeing him so upset and knowing I was the cause. But it was justifiable.

"I can't do this because you'd be like Lila." I sighed.

Leo chuckled, not believing she was why I was holding back on him. "Lila? Adrien, she's long gone..."

"That's not what I mean, Leo!" I hissed. "I do love you. I remember everything we've been through: how you opened up my life, made me feel special, made me who I am! I want that back, I really, really, do. But Leo, you're not the only person I want to be with right now."

His eyes flickered angrily to the floor, and he ran a hand through his sopping hair. Pacing back and forth he looked like a man in action, a man ready to do whatever it takes to get what he wants. To be honest, it scared the daylights out of me. California has changed Leo from the kind boy I fell in love with to a needy man-child.

"It's Jace isn't it? The 'best friend' of yours?" He licked his lips, prepared to spring.

I swallowed hard, not wanting to be the cause of any fights. I let out a shallow whisper, "Yes. Please don't hurt him. The reason I won't be with you or him is because I would be lying to you both. I'd also be kidding myself if I think I won't feel guilty being with one of you and thinking about the other at the same time. It will make both of you like Lila. I just won't do it."