Part 42 - 6th October 1970

Start from the beginning

"Happy Anniversary my love." She said softly, handing Paul a small soft package, she looked worried.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

She gave him a half smile. "My gift isn't quite as grand as yours," she told him softly, "I hope you like it." She watched carefully as Paul unwrapped his parcel. He took out the strip of rolled grey fabric, a puzzled expression on his face. "Unroll it." She told him softly.

Following her instructions, Paul did just that until he found a guitar strap, embroidered with colourful celtic knots and patterns and then his name at the bottom.

"It's beautiful!" he looked up and smiled at her, "I've never had anything so finely decorated. Thanks you."

"You're welcome." she looked nervous again, "Are you sure you like it?"

"Lucy, it's stunning! Truly, I love it!" he kissed here softly, "Thank you! I'm going to go and put it on my guitar now."

Lucy nodded as he left the room. She was busying herself tidying up the remains of her breakfast tray as he came back into the room.

"What do you think love?"

Lucy looked up to see her husband admiring the new strap attached to his favourite guitar.

"Looks lovely! Are you sure you like it?"

"I love it!" he told her, sitting at the table, "And you!"

He sat singing to her as she washed the cups, every so often she would join in with him on choruses she knew. Suddenly their cosiness was interrupted as the kitchen door opened.

"Mama!" shouted a little voice.

"Hello boys!" said Lucy, clearly delighted to see her sons, "Have you been to the park with Grandad?"

Picking up Daniel, she sat him on the edge of the table and began to take off his hat and coat. She grinned at him then addressed her dad. "Was it cold out there?"

Daniel Senior nodded. "Yes, why?"

"Because this one has a bright red nose!" she chuckled, "A proper little Rudolph!" Kissing him on his soft downy head, she placed the small boy in his high chair then handed him a drink before doing exactly the same with his brother.

Rose made a pot of tea and brought some cups to the table. She poured drinks for them all then sat down by the boys. Paul carried on playing and singing, oblivious to the rest of the room. James began to stretch over to his dad, desperate to play on the guitar. Now becoming more mobile, he tried to push up from his seat.

"Paul!" Lucy called, immediately concerned for his safety. Paul carried on playing, not having heard her, "PAUL! STOP HIM! HE'LL FALL!"

Thankfully Paul heard her this time and looked up just in time to catch James as he over stretch and almost toppled his high chair in the process.

"Where do you think you're going young man?" he told him, "That's naughty!"

"Put the damned guitar away!" said Lucy crossly, "You know how much he wants it when he sees it! I thought we'd agreed not to bring it in the kitchen!"

Paul immediately looked apologetic, "Sorry love! You're right!" He took the guitar from the room then came back. He lifted James from his high chair, "Come on Houdini, you can come go and have a play!" He placed the wriggling child into the playpen in the corner of the kitchen, bought to give Lucy some peace now the boys were getting bigger. Daniel began to protest too, wanting to join his brother so Paul put him in too.

"Thanks Paul." Lucy smiled at him. Paul reached over and squeezed her hand. "Don't be cross with me. I'm sorry I wasn't watching him properly!"

"I know," said Lucy, "But he'd get hurt if he fell! They both need watching like a hawk now!" Lucy cast a glance at the two boys, now playing with toy cars, "Anyway, they look happy enough now!"