Chapter 26: Caught

Gabby.

"You weren't in class today... you didn't warn me." I phone Courtney the moment I walk out of the school. "Morgan wasn't there either, not that she would have spoken to me."

"I had a rough night Gabs. My parents decided to take me back to Illinois to see some family and old friends for the weekend in hopes it would cheer me up."

I stop walking for a moment. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be okay. Sometimes I get night terrors where I dream that it's happening again, it sets me back. I just need a mini trip and I'll be good as new."

There's something in the tone of her voice that isn't convincing me she's actually okay.  She's been helping me so much lately, I've been a terrible friend and only thinking of myself. I didn't think of how all of his would affect her.  She moved here to get away from this, that's what Jax told me.  When she gets back I need to make sure I'm here for her, just as I know she is here for me.

"So who's watching your dog?" I can clearly see Cooper on his leash running around their yard.

"Jax didn't come with. He had his probation meeting and he can't sleep anywhere but his own house."

"Right." I roll my eyes and look both ways to cross the road. That's when I see him. Tyler Porter, walking straight towards me on a mission. "Court I'll call you back."

I hang up before she can even answer and dial 911 into my phone, just in case. I begin walking faster, focusing my eyes on my house.

"Gabby wait up!" he yells.

"Get away from me!" My breathing begins to labor as I begin booking it home.

I run quickly up the porch steps and realize I've forgotten something. Keys.

Fuck Gabby. You never learn.

Sydney has the keys but had softball practice right after school.  I jiggle the brass door handle in the hopes that it will magically open. I just don't appear to have that type of luck.

I turn and he's behind me on the steps, staring into my face.  His hands remain in his pockets.

"There's a party tonight at the lake..."

"I don't care" I press my back up against the door.

"Kane will be there. He said Felix is coming too, come hang out with everyone tonight." He keeps his distance, remaining on the steps.

"No."

"You have no friends left Gabby. It's the senior party tonight.  The whole class is going. Come have drinks with us."

"Why the hell would I drink around you?" I push him away so I can walk quickly across the street.

"Gabby!" He calls out after me. "You can bring your own cup this time buttercup. I don't want you in my backseat but Kane still does. He saw how upset you were and now I have him pissed at me... come out with him."

I use my palm to hit the door of the blue Victorian home as I begin to cry. I attempt to call Syd to bring my keys with no answer, I figured she wouldn't but I needed to try.

"Jesus Gabby I'm not trying to rape you in the middle of the damn street!" Tyler yells. "Call Kane if you don't believe me."

I hit the door again. I know Jax is home because the dog is outside. Tyler starts walking towards me, again and I jiggle the handle to the Parker's door. It opens without hesitation and I walk freely inside, shutting the door quickly as I begin my crying again. I lock it and watch Tyler walk off the porch shaking his head.