Chapter 30

Tylek's eyes flashed in a second so quick it was hardly noticeable. His gaze hardened, and he sat back in the chair with an emotionless mask. "What do you know?"

"Trauma patients often remember pieces of the incident they went through. It's blurs and bits, but it's not hard to put together. Unfortunately for you, I've remembered."

"What do you know?"

Despite the eased body language in which he sat slouched in his seat, Tylek was tense and hid behind a guard. The words I said next would have an impact on him. He needed to prepare himself for whatever it was I was going to tell him I know, that I remembered.

"I had blacked out. Likely from inhaling so much smoke and the lack of oxygen but you're already aware of this. You got to see it."

"I wasn't there," he claimed.

I stared him down. "We both know that isn't true." A coughing fit sprung on me, and I turned away until it ceased. I took deep breaths to calm my body and to recover a regular breathing pattern. Tylek handed me the glass of water on the bedside table. After a long look, I took it with a nod of gratitude.

"After I blacked out, I vaguely came to again. Not for long but enough to see a peculiar sight," I continued once I felt I was able to. "You were there in the bathroom surrounded by fire. You had a book in your hand and your other was moving around through the air." I mimicked the movement that I recalled, trying to produce the same gestures.

Tylek shifted in his seat to lean towards me. "You were hallucinating. Your mind was suffering from lack of oxygen."

"It was you, Tylek. Not a hallucination or a dream but you," I insisted firmly. He opened his mouth to reply, but I cut him off. "I'm not mad."

"You believe I tried to kill you, and you claim you're not mad?" he questioned slowly. I could tell his mind was working to comprehend the idea.

I shook my head despite the pain and protest of my body. "No, I'm not mad. In fact, I'm quite intrigued, and I'm even grateful."

The dumbfounded look never ceased; instead it intensified. "Elaborate."

"It's quite simple. If you're trying to kill me, then you can't be working with the group who wants to take me. If you're trying to kill me, then you're on our side."

I looked expectantly for a reaction on some level from Tylek. None was given. He sat back with his chin propped up on his fist, eye darting about invisible thoughts in the air. Silence laid heavy for some time. When it got to the point I was sure he wouldn't speak on the idea I conveyed, he sat up and cleared his throat.

"First, let me sincerely apologize."

My eyebrows went up in surprise. In an instant Tylek had changed in front of me. The hostile, cold vampire with which I had familiarized myself with was now a sincere, thoughtful individual who carried an air of gravity with him.

"I want to apologize for trying to kill you. Yes, I admit it. I was there. I created the magean fire. And my apologies partly related to my actions." He paused to recollect his thoughts. With a deep breath, he continued, "However, I am more sorry that I failed."

"What do you mean?" I questioned. The curiosity burned deep within as secrets unraveled before me. Here was my key to knowing so much more.

Tylek glanced towards the door. "This is not a conversation to have now, Skye. You have caught me; I have confessed. But there is much more in which you do not and I shall tell you. One day."

"Why not now? What—" Another coughing fit. My frail body shook and rattled from the force exerted on it. The aches and pains flared up. My throat burned.

"Here, drink this," a voice soothed, and a cup was produced before my lips. Doing my best between coughs, I drew a sip. Water that tasted more pure than anything I had ever drank flooded my mouth and cascaded down my throat. Almost instantly the coughing ceased to occur, but I kept drinking the liquid from the cup.

When it was all gone I sat back on the bed and took a few deep breaths. Tylek placed the cup on the table. "Magean water with a little extra help. I figured it might help more than whatever Doc is giving you."

"Witchcraft?" I choked out.

"You can say that," he replied. "And a doctor, especially a vampiric doctor, would never use it."

"So why do you?" I inquired with the simple curiosity of a child.

Tylek shrugged. "I put away my pride in vampiric traditions. As a vampire, the 'supreme species' of sort, we look down on other traditions. We respect that, no mistake there, but our ways are the best way for us. I don't necessarily agree. I believe every tradition has benefits. Witchery is powerful. Why not take advantage of the abilities and knowledge it offers so freely?"

"You seek power."

"For the greater good," he specified firmly. "I know the image and reputation presented implies otherwise, but I truly do what I can for the good of the Realm."

I remained quiet for a moment before asking, "When are you going to tell them?"

He sighed and ran a hand over his tired face. "I was never planning to. The chance of disownment for the practice of witchcraft but also the gravity of the situation makes me dislike the idea. I am not trusted by my family, and most citizens. Rightly so yet unfortunate in these circumstances."

"I believe you. And I understand it, too," I told him. "Tylek, you want to stop this. We need to stop this. And we can only do that if you tell us what you know and help us."

With a shake of his head, he responded, "No, I cannot. You are all in a dangerous position. So vulnerable and you have no idea what you've done to yourselves."

"What do you mean? We've been cautious and careful, assertive of activities."

"It's not what's going on," he insisted. "It's who's involved."

I eagerly leaned forward, staring at him earnestly, almost desperately. "Tylek, tell me. Who are you referring to?"

Silver eyes met my own. A heated moment was shared of desperation and regret. It was broken by his abrupt movement to stand on his feet. "I have to go, Skye. This isn't safe."

Before I could protest he was standing in front of the door and turned to look at me. "This is not the end of the discussion. I promise," he said sincerely before vanishing, leaving nothing but a rush of wind in his place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been two years since I have updated this story. In truth, I wasn't sure if I would ever finish it. But I looked back and decided that maybe writing and finishing this was what I needed to get a break from my busy life. So here is another chapter, two years late, and I will not promise that more will come soon. I don't know. And I'm sorry. But I do hope you enjoy this.

-Azzeria