Chapter 8

Once we had finished up in the kitchen we all went back upstairs. We were chatting, well, mostly Zeth and I, when the Queen came up to us. “Blaze, the party’s tomorrow. You’ll be there on time and double check today that you have everything,” she said sternly, flashing him a look.

“I will, Mother,” he replied respectfully.

I rose an eyebrow. “What party?”

“Blaze will meet princesses from all the districts of our realm, or kingdom, and choose one to be his queen. His father and I are retiring, and we think Blaze is ready to take our place,” she explained, looking at her son with pride.

Blaze didn’t look too happy. “But most of the princesses are sluts. You know, the fake nails and eyelashes, five tons of make-up, fake boobs, etc.”

“Blaze! That is no way to talk,” the Queen snapped fiercely. “Apologize.”

His red eyes flared up dangerously. “I apologize for the rudeness in which I spoke. I did not mean to say such things and meant no offense to any creature.”

She gave a curt nod. “Good. Now make sure everything’s ready.” She turned to me. “As Blaze’s slave you will be with him at all times unless told otherwise by him, the King, or myself. You will do as Blaze says.”

It was my turn to give an icy look. “I’m sorry, what?”

“You know what I said. You’re a slave, Skye. It’s what you’re meant to do,” the Queen replied before walking off.

“No way in hell am I doing anything for you,” I spat at Blaze.

“Hey, I don’t even want this party! I hate it!” he argued, turning to punch a gaping hole in the wall as the last words were thrown out harshly.

“Will you two calm down?” Zeth pleaded, watching us with big eyes.

“Oh, Skye?” the Queen’s voice came from down the hall.

“Yeah?”

“You’re going to need a dress. Our servant, Isabella, will take you in an hour. Be ready!” she called before disappearing again.

My lip curled back in disgust. “A dress?” I spat. “Over my dead body!”

“That can be arranged,” Blaze muttered, continuing down the hallway.

“That can be arranged,” I mimicked, smirking as he threw an irritated glare over his shoulder at me.

“You just love irritating him, don’t you?” Zeth chuckled.

I shrugged. “Instinct. Do I really have to do everything he says? And wear a dress?”

Zeth’s eyebrow shot up. “Don’t like dresses?”

“Not the biggest fan,” I admitted.

“Are you Skye?” a quiet voice asked. We turned around to see a girl with long flowing black hair and chocolate brown eyes staring at us curiously. “I’m Isabella.”

“Oh, uh, yeah. I am,” I replied, glimpsing at Zeth. “You’re supposed to take me dress shopping for the ball, right?”

“Yes. If you want we can go now, but, uh, you should change. You look like you could use a fresh pair of clothes,” she commented, not in a snide way, but more a of a sympathetic way. “Come. I’m sure I have something that you will like to wear.”

Zeth and I exchanged a look. I was unsure of how to respond or if I should follow the servant. After a brief hesitation I agreed, “Alright.”

Isabella led me down a couple hallways and into a light blue room. I looked around, jealous that she actually had a room while the prince just threw me into a dungeon. She had a small bed with white fluffy covers and a desk with a mirror on the right wall. Against the opposite wall were two doors which I assumed one was the closet and the other a bathroom.

“Hmm… How about skinny gray ripped jeans, a black vest top, some stylish black boots, and a silver studded belt along with some silver bangles and a black and silver friendship-like bracelet?” she offered, rummaging through the hanging clothes.

“That actually sounds good,” I admitted, liking the outfit as I pieced it together in my mind.

Isabella presented the clothes to me, and I walked into the bathroom to change into the outfit. Her clothes fit me perfectly. It clung to the curves it needed to, making me look a lot better than I actually do. As I walked back out into the room I heard an excited squeal.

“It looks so good on you!” she gushed, jumping up and down. “You can keep those. I hardly wear them and they all look so good with your body!”

I laughed. “That sounds kinda creepy, Isabella.”

“Oh, hush,” she replied, dragging me out the door and into the hallway. “Now let’s go! I want to get this over with!”

------------------------------------------------

“I don’t like that color on you,” Isabella commented, scrutinizing the dress I was wearing.

I flapped my arms in exasperation. “This is the hundredth dress I have tried on!”

“And the hundredth dress that just isn’t right for ya, babe,” she replied, giving me a dismissive wave of the hand to go and change out of it. “We know that you look best in reds, golds, and black. It needs to be long since it’s a formal ball. Now puffiness because I hate that and so do you. I think it should also have an intricate design, you know? Kinda show off a bit of your personality.”

“You mean like that one?” I asked, walking out of the changing rooms and catching sight of the most perfect dress ever. It was a deep red that was tight on the upper body down to my waste where it let loose. There was a black net-like material with a black beaded design on it. There were also black gloves that went up to my elbow, fingerless so there was no material on my fingers at all. (Hopefully picture to side)

Isabella looked it over. “You can try it on.”

Eagerly, I grabbed the dress and changed into it as fast as I could without hurting myself or the dress. Without looking in the mirror, I stepped out for Isabella to see. Her reaction was enough. Her brown eyes widened dramatically to the point I’m surprised her eyeballs didn’t fall our, and her jaw nearly hit the ground. “We found it!”

“Finally,” I sighed with a grin. Maybe this ball won’t be so bad after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I AM SO UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY SORRY!!! I know I took FOREVER for this and said I'd update it a week or two ago, but something came up. I am so sorry and know it's not long, but I wanted to give you guys something. Thank you for reading it though, and I wouldn't blame you if you stopped because my updating has been HORRIBLE. I feel so bad! So sorry, guys!

-azzeria123