Chapter 39

"It's confirmed. Jasper Samuel is the one who gave Jimmy the drugs." Ike says with a tense, furious face.

I sent a picture of the good doctor, taken at my last birthday, to Ike who forwarded it to Jimmy. I can't believe it. Doctor Samuel has been a part of my life since I was six and we hired him to care for the rapidly declining health of my grandma. He was almost like an extra uncle or grandparent. The betrayal made my stomach burn acidly.

Brian had already sent the cops to his home, both to arrest him and search for Bambi. Brian has gone too, and I think he expect me to come also. But I can't shake the wrongness of it. Doc's house is in a wealthy neighborhood, but the neighbors are still pretty close. There's always a nosy trophy wife looking out her window and I know he doesn't have a garage. Could he really have sneaked Bambi into his home without someone noticing? What about his clinic? Could he have taken her there? No, the clinic is open twenty-four seven, there's always people there.

I pull out my cell and call pa.

"Liam, where are you? Your ma's becoming hysterical with you just leaving like that!" pa's voice is laced with both annoyance and worry, but I can't handle that right now.

"Later pa, I need your help. Does doc have any properties other than his house and clinic?"

"Doctor Samuel? What, why are you asking?" his confusedness is plainly heard across the line, but I simply don't have time!

"Pa! Just answer!"

"Okay, okay!" he's silent, thinking about it. "No, none that I know of."

"You sure?" his confirming grunt sends an agitated hand through my hair. "Is he involved with property of any kind? In the process of buying or something?"

"Liam, why is this-" my growl stop him and gets him back on track. "I don't think so, no."

About to give up and just go to the police station so I can beat the truth out of the scumbag, I open my mouth to say goodbye when pa forestall me.

"Wait, now that I think about it he's a consultant on that new hospital build. You know the one where they're planning to build Americas largest hospital in the southern part of the city. A few buildings are standing on the hospital grounds and they're considering whether they're usable for the hospital."

I don't know about any hospital build, but my guts tells me that I'll find Bambi there. New energy fills me now that I have a solid lead.

"Samuel got me drugged last night and most likely kidnapped Caia. The police are on their way to arrest him." I hang up on pa's sputtering without another word. A quick Google search reveals the exact addresses of the buildings and I send them to Brian with a text, along with my suspicions. Then I turn to Ike and Noah.

"Come on, let's go."

*****

Three buildings are standing on the grounds, one of them with over ten floors. But there's only one with a car parked right in front of it.

We're sitting in Ike's car watching the three-story building, wondering what to do next. But it's the perfect place to hide a kidnapped teen. The area is devoid of people, the companies who occupied the offices long gone and the closest busy road is two streets away.

"You really think she's in there?" Noah asks.

"Yeah, it's perfect for doc's purpose. There're no curious eyes watching and it's scheduled for demolition in four weeks. Plenty of time for him to find other accommodations for Bambi if needed." The thought of Bambi being in there, scared and maybe injured makes me antsy. "We should go in."