Chapter 3

Caia

I drop my backpack in the hallway of my small apartment. The bloody thing is heavy. The hallway isn't big or long at all. It's about one and a half meter wide and about five meters long. Just inside the door is three hooks for coats. The first door to the right is my bedroom and on the left, across from the bedroom door, is the small bathroom. At the end of the hallway is the biggest room of the apartment, the combined kitchen/living room.

I make my way down the hallway, foregoing my bed in favor of the big comfy couch, that came with the apartment, and a nice cup of hot chocolate. I haven't got a TV yet, but I still have my old, trusty laptop, even if it's starting to act up when it's on for too long.

In one end of the room is the kitchen which so far contains one pot, one pan, a kettle and... well that's it. Oh except for the dining table with four chairs. The couch isn't the only thing that came with the apartment. It actually came furnished so I have the couch, the table and chairs, a TV table(for when I get a TV), a small dresser, a low coffee table, a bed and a small squared table in the hallway.

Btw. The pot, pan and kettle? On loan from my neighbor until I get my own.

So you can never accuse me of having a big apartment or lots of stuff for it, but the location's good and the landlady is a nice old grandma, who has already offered up her grandson to me. For what I'm not really sure yet. She was very vague and hinting in her statements. But I have the uncomfortable suspicion that she had great grandkids in mind. Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Other than that I have nothing. Not even food(except for my chocolate). I seriously need to go shopping. I sigh and throw myself on the couch.

What a day! I managed to avoid Liam for the rest of the day, even though I know he saw me board the bus. I don't know what's with the guy! I think I made it plain that I'm not interested in having anything to do with him. But he looked at me throughout lunch, and I saw him searching for someone after school was out. I managed to sneak past him and Camille, Jade and Britney as well. I know it was me he looked for, because as I sat in the bus and it passed him, I met his eyes and he mouthed to me.

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow? Tomorrow what? Maybe I should call in sick? It couldn't be so hard to fake a cough, could it? Oh man listen to me! Not even twenty-four hours into my high school experience and I'm already contemplating ditching school. Mom would have ripped me a new one.

I lift my hands and press them to my eyes as I sigh deeply.

I lay there for a while, just thinking about mom and dad, until I feel my eyes moisten. I then get up to go get myself some food from the store.

*****

The next day I wave to Camille as she leaves to go to her next class with Adam trailing close behind her. The first lesson of the day was history, which I have with Camille and Adam. I only have two classes with Camille, history and English.

Every student has been given a locker and I want to leave my books here. It's not like I need them anymore, I looked through them yesterday and have them memorized, but people tend to give me weird looks when they realize I have photographic memory. I want to keep up the illusion of normalness for as long as I can.

I place my books in the locker, and retrieve the notebook I intent to use for math. I close the locker, revealing the big body which had been standing in hiding behind the locker door. I nearly have a heart attack.

"Bambi."

Liam's leaning casually against the neighbor locker, his massive arms crossed over his chest. Oh my god, he's so tall! The top of my head barely reach his shoulder.