Chapter 11: - You suffer underneath the surface

Recap:

“Bye, thanks again!” she called over her shoulder when she walked towards her house.

“Goodbye, Tyler!” Penny’s little voice piped up before he got into his car and drove off.

Alysia greeted her grandmother when she entered and decided not to ask again about her whereabouts; after all, she wasn’t Serafine’s mother. After taking Penny to bed and texting Shelbey to ask her to pick her up tomorrow, she collapsed onto to bed and fell right asleep.

The next day, she didn’t see Tyler anywhere at school and when Shelbey had dropped her off by her car and she was about to call triple A to have it fixed, she decided to try her luck one more time.

And the car started without any problem.

Chapter 11: You suffer underneath the surface

With all the worry about her grandmother and the confusion that was Tyler, Alysia had almost forgotten about the upcoming class trip to Paris in one week’s time.

She couldn’t say she was looking forward to it since about half her year was going to go, including Patricia and her clique. Especially since Shelbey was going to do an internship during that time and wouldn’t come, Alysia didn’t feel like going and having to put up with the other people in her year on her own. Her grandmother had insisted on sending her, however, because she thought it would be good for Alysia to have some time off and see another country.

The monday in the week before the trip started was a work-free day for Alysia who was sitting in the living room with her grandmother. Seraphine wasn’t looking at her recipes but just leaning back on the couch and flipping through an old photo book.

“Your trip to Paris is soon, isn’t it, dear?” she suddenly asked. Alysia looked up from the drawing she was doing and focused her attention on her Nana.

“Yes.”

“Your mother went there, too during college. She saved for it for months,”  Seraphine smiled, “Here are some pictures of that trip.”

Alysia scooted over to look into the photo book as well. It showed a picture of her mother with her girlfriends and a young man who was looking at her.

“Who is that?” Alysia asked and pointed to the man.

“I think he was one of her holiday romances. She used to turn almost every guys head,” her grandmother explained.

“I know why, she was beautiful,” Alysia said while she kept looking at the picture of her younger, smiling mother with her long dark-blonde hair, the bright eyes and her charming smile. Looking at her mother, seeming so young, happy and carefree even though she’d had a difficult life made Alysia sad. Her mother had had so much bad luck yet had never failed to stay optimistic. She’d almost always smiled and had had only good things to say. It just wasn’t fair that she’d died so young.

“She was. This was taken only a few weeks before she met your father and she stopped smiling as much as she used to,” Seraphine said, her voice calm but with a sad ring to it that made Alysia scoot closer. Her Nana put her arm around her and pressed her to her side.

Alysia was disgusted with what she knew about her mexican father Carlos. According to what her grandmother had told her, he was the first man her mother was ever hopelessly in love with and he’d just been playing with her.