Chapter 1 - We got things started

Amazing cover on the side made by justpriya!

1. ...we got things started

"You did WHAT?!" Shelbey Colins shrieked, her blue eyes threatening to pop out of their holes. "PLEASE tell me you're joking!"

When her best friend Alysia Jenkins, sitting opposite of her - and clearly the one she'd addressed - remained silent, her mouth opened but no more words escaped her lips as she correctly assumed this to mean exactly what she didn't want it to.

There was a short moment of silence where Shelbey desperately seemed to try to comprehend the significance of what Alysia had revealed earlier.

"Aly, what were you THINKING?"

Alysia lifted her hand to indicate that she was finally going to give her friend an answer.

Shelbey looked at her, exebrows raised, with an expression that clearly stated: "Oh, this better be good!"

Alysia sighed, already knowing there was nothing she could possibly say to soften the blow for her best friend:

"We were both drunk and, I don't know, we just ended up having sex."

"Have you completely and utterly lost your mind?!" Shelbey asked, still staring at Alysia with wide eyes. "This is not just some guy, this is Tyler freaking Connon!"

As if the name alone would bring her friend to her senses, Shelbey stared at Alysia with an almost hypnotic stare.

"I know, but it's honestly no big deal, Shelb."

Shelbey's fake laugh answering these words sounded ridiculously forced.

"No big deal?! Sometimes I really don't GET you. This is a huge deal!"

"No, it's not," Alysia contradicted, shaking her head so her black ponytail softly swept over her shoulders. "It was a one-time-thing, and it didn't mean anything. You know me, that's always how it is."

Alysia wasn't really surprised that her friend was freaking out this much, it was just who Shelbey was. Shelbey didn't understand the concept of meaningless one-night-stands, the idea of casual and unattachted sex, even though she'd heard of it in Alysia's storys. Alysia was living proof that this was real and working concept that didn't have to lead to any kind of attachement.

But, Alysia thought, maybe for Shelbey this wouldn't ever be a possibility because she just wasn't the type. She thought way too much and couldn't just have unattached sex. Not that she'd ever had sex before - this was one of the many things where the two girls were complete opposites.

Shelbey should probably have known better than to think that Alysia would ever get attached to any man ever again. The one time she'd trusted a guy had had the most horrible ending imaginable and was enough to make Alysia promise to herself that she'd never let any guy come emotionally close again.

While Alysia remained calm during the course of the conversation, her best friend shot up from her bed and began pacing around the room anxiously.

"Just the fact that we're talking about Tyler Connon and not just some guy already makes it different," Shelbey ranted, almost desperate to make Alysia see her point, "Tyler, the most popular guy in school, friends with Tricia - someone we hate. Too full of himself, arrogant, badass, ... Does any of this ring a bell?"

But it was of no use. Maybe, Alysia thought, for once this wasn't about their difference of opinion on one-night-stands, maybe this really was just about the WHO of it all.

"As I said, it doesn't matter because it didn't mean anything to either of us. So it's all good."

"Good?!" Shelbey shrieked, her voice shooting through several octaves because she was so outraged. "Good?! Are you nuts? This is anything but good!"