Chapter 2 - I'm still not interested

Again, the amazing cover made by justpriya!

2. ...I'm still not interested

"I'm home!" Alysia called out the next day as soon as she had opened the door.

In that instant someone ran up to her with their arms outstretched.

Alysia opened her arms and her little sister flew right into them while a high-pitched giggle escaped from her mouth.

"Hey, Penny, how's it going?"

Alysia smiled as she carried the child through the hallway, dumping her bag on the stairs on the way.

"How was your day, baby?" She asked the young girl while entering the kitchen and greeting the older woman by the oven.

"Hey, Nana!" Kissing her grandmother on the cheek, she plopped down on one of the chairs and turned her attention back to her little sister on her lap.

"Cool. I helped Nana in the garden," Penny announced proudly, her cheeks pink and her whole expression glowing with pride.

"Good to know. Has she been a good girl, Nana?" Alysia questioned her grandmother, the kind of broad smile on her face that nobody in school had ever seen her with.

"She sure has. I don't know what I would have done without her help." Kindly smiling at the little girl, the elderly woman bent down to get the food out of the oven and flinched, her face momentarily a mask of severe pain - something Alysia noticed with a worried frown but luckily, little Penny missed.

Not wanting to draw her sister's attention to the fact that her grandmother was clearly in pain, Alysia made a mental note to herself to ask her Nana about it later and turned back to little Penny.

"I'm happy you're home," the three-year-old girl announced, happily grinning up at her older sister. Her big, bright blue eyes were glowing with excitement and joy.

"I'm happy I'm home, too," Alysia replied with her love for her little sister evident on her face.

"How was the day at school, honey?" Her grandmother asked while Alysia got up to help her set the table and prepare the food.

"The usual. It's just a place where everything seems to be about how popular you are and how many people know you and stuff...," Alysia said, sounding slightly bored. "I can't wait to be done and finally go to college."

She could tell that her grandmother didn't want to dwell on this topic for too long. Alysia knew that the woman who had practically raised her was worried that the same thing that happened to her daughter would happen to Alysia too; getting pregnant while in college, being dumped by the father and having to drop out and make it on her own with a child on the way and no college degree.

In order not to trouble her more with it, she decided to let it drop.

"Lissy?" Penny piped up.

"Yeah?" Alysia glanced down at the little girl before lifting her up to help her sit down on the bench.

"Are you going to play catch with me later?"

"Sure, baby," she smiled before serving the food on the three plates and digging in.

****************

"Ok, Penny, time for bed!" Alysia's grandmother said after dinner that night as they were gathered around the kitchen table.

Alysia accompanied her little sister upstairs as she always did and helped her get ready. Afterwards she carried her to the window to "say goodnight to the moon" as they always did and Penny leaned her head against Alysias shoulder and waved before she said in her high voice "Goodnight, moon, sleep well!"