~ d ~

Draco sits up suddenly and shakes his head.

"Wait- no. Potter, we can't get married!"

"And why not," asked Harry, the smile sliding from his face, leaving a defensive mask in its place.

"Well to be honest, we're a bloody mess," Draco said rather bluntly. "We haven't properly dated in years; we're attempting to co-parent a child who is going off to school tomorrow; not to mention, I'm not moving into your home, when I have a perfectly good one of my own-"

"Can't we just figure that stuff out later?" the ravenette asked, and he sat on the bed again before reaching a hand out to grab onto Draco's leg.

"No, we can't!" the blonde practically screeches. "You're supposed to be the responsible one, remember. Stop acting like a lonely kneazle."

"But," said Harry, sounding put out. "I am a lonely kneazle."

"No, you aren't. Not anymore. You haven't been one for ages, Potter. You're a full time pediatric healer and father for Merlin's sake."

"So does that mean I shouldn't want things?"

"It means you should want things within reason."

"So, you admit you're unreasonable," Harry tried with a smile but Draco was firm in his stance.

"I admit you're lonely, but jumping into a marriage right away isn't the way to handle it." He pauses for a second before narrowing his eyes and speaking. "Wait a mo...did you only ask me to marry you because James is going off to Hogwarts tomorrow?"

Harry looks away, but that is all the confirmation Draco needs before he's asking him to leave the room. Harry is staring at his own feet as if he can't figure out how to force himself off of the bed, across the room and out of the door. His voice is rough and raw when he speaks.

"The first time you left was hard, of course it was, I was pregnant and you didn't know and I was sure you wanted nothing to do with us. I focused on raising James and being glad that Andy and everyone else was willing to help. But then...Draco you came back and I hadn't realized how badly I missed you until you were up on that stage belting your lungs out and I just- I don't know what I wanted. At the time, I guess it was just to get away from you as quickly as possible, becauss whenever we get together it's..."

"Don't you dare say magical."

Harry snorted, but continued on anyway. "These last few years without you have been torture. Thinking you'd be good with the boys then seeing you with them and realizing that you were good for them too, then having that all torn away-"

"Potter, you aren't going to change my mind. This is a bad idea and I'm not going through with it. You can't make me."

"I'm not trying to make you do anything," Harry said, a mix of defensive and angry. "It's just- I feel like with the boys at school we have a chance for a relationship. Time to work on us."

"What relationship? There is no us!"

"To work on a friendship then."

"That's what you said 8th year, then we started dating."

"So is that a yes?"

"It's a 'I'm pretty sure I'm gonna regret this'."

"You know what, I'm positive that I missed you." He shrugged with a small smile. "I like having you around, Draco."

"I'm not sure that's something a friend would say."

"I'm really into platonic affection," Harry said truthfully with a lopsided grin that forced a smile onto Draco's face.

--:--

"Why'd you bring us here," James said, shoving at his brother once they were back home.

"You seriously have to finish packing, we leave tomorrow, ya div."

A goofy smile broke out across James Lucius' face as he abd his brother raced upstairs to finish packing his things.

"What house do you think I'll be in?" the younger boy asked excitedly, throwing junk from his drawers. "D'you think I could be in Slytherin like Father?"

"Grandmére said there's never been a Malfoy or Black sorted into any other house. Even Gam was a Slytherin." Teddy got quieter as if he was telling some huge secret. "Sirius Black was put into Gryffindor and he got disowned!"

"Dad was a Gryffindor," reasoned James with wide eyes. "I wouldn't get disowned."

"Maybe not by Dad or Gam, but what about Father or Grandmére."

"You literally just said the same thing twice, but you call me the div."

"You know what I mean." Teddy threw a dirty sock at him and laughed when it hit him square in the face.

"You're just tryna scare me, Ted, and it won't work!" James threw the sock back, but it fell to the floor.

"Ha, you know I'm just kidding." The blue haired boy lowered himself onto the only clean surface the bed had to offer and leaned his head against his hand. "And anyway, you're so much like Dad, you'll probably be in Gryffindor regardless."

"Yeah," James said, tossing himself onto a pile of clothes next to his suitcase. "I was thinking so too. I just thought that if I was in Slytherin..."

"Maybe they'd reconnect and get back together or something?"

"Am I barmy to think that?"

"You're completely bonkers," Teddy said seriously, before a smile broke out on his face. "But I get it."

"Do you think it'd work?"

"No." At the downtrodden look on his brother's face he continued. "They're adults, Jamesie. They have to figure it out for themselves. You can't just try to fix it for them. You're plan wouldn't work anyway."

"Then...d'you think they'll ever get back together?"

"I don't know. Maybe. I mean, if they both haven't gone completely barmy and they still love each other enough, then probably."

James flopped backwards into the clothes with a groan.

"But they're both idiots!"

"Yeah," Teddy said through a laugh. "Can't disagree with you there. Hey! Maybe that's why you're such a weirdo."

"I hate you," the younger boy said sitting up again. "Why are we even friends?"

"We arent," Teddy said through a chuckle, "We're brothers. Now let's finish getting you packed."

"Yes, sir," James days with a roll of his eyes.

-&-

hey futher muckers
what's up
i actually posted on time lol

lemme know what y'all think, eh?

hope y'all enjoyed hehe
love y'all

-- angel janeé xoxo 💋