Chapter 12

As we neared the bus stop, Eleven suddenly stopped. I looked at her and realized that the raindrops on her face were mixed with tears. She pulled me aside and sobbed, "M-my dad. He didn't do anything I'm sorry. I have to go back," Her body shook uncontrollably and her lips, purple with the cold, trembled.
I pulled her close and whispered, "Let's go then."
"You don't understand! He has to arrest me!" She went quiet and looked down at the ground.
I looked at her, confused and shocked. "Why?"
"I killed somebody." Even through the rain I could see the tears dropping from her face which was still turned to the ground. "I.... I had to." There was a long pause full of negative emotions. "He was possessed. Couldn't save him," her voice was barely discernable and yet so clear.
"Like.. by a demon?"
Eleven slowly nodded and whispered, "Something like that."

The silence that followed was long, pierced only by Eleven's sobs. "I won't let you go to prison. Please. Run away with me. Do you know anywhere we could hide?" I finally said.

"Yes," she whispered.

I took her by the hand and led her to the bus stop. We sat down and curled up together on the dirty bench. I looked down at my dress. It looked awful. In shreds, brown from the dirt. Eleven's was just the same. But for some reason she refused to wear a hospital gown. "Why didn't you want the hospital gown?" I asked suddenly.

"Bad" she whispered.

"Ok... Well do you want to talk about something? Anything?" I asked.

"They shut me in a lab. Gave me powers. Made me kill.  Brought the demons here. Ran away. Mike found me..." She trailed off

She looked up at me and asked, "Believe me?"
I nodded. I don't know why I believed it, but I did.

_____________________________

Nela