21. Wolves

Finally, that dreadful working day in the Agency was finished and there were no more pointless conversations, questions or things to do and I could go home to (Y/N) and spend the time I wanted with her.

Well, I was hoping, that I would be able to do so. However, once I entered, I wasn't greeted with the most beautiful voice in the world, but with the most horrible one: barking.

I stood still in the doorway, not being able to make any sound or at least close my mouth because my jaw dropped unintentionally as my eyes were staring into the two black dots on the white background, which were studying every single feature of my face.

The bizarre creature in front of me was a small white furry ball, that was sitting in front of me. His tail was wiggling from side to side as it seemed to be happy to see me.

"(Y/N)..." I finally managed to call my loved one, not breakingd the eye contact with the creature in front of me "There's something in the doorway."

Eventually, the grace figure of the love of my life appeared from the kitchen and a happy smile was present on her face.

"I see, that you've finally met our new little friend~" She said as she leaned on the wall, crossing her arms

"Friend?!" I exclaimed as my eyes widened in horror

"Yes~" (Y/N) said as her smile grew wider "I found him, while going home after work~ He went closer to me and looked at me with such poor and pleading eyes, that my heart melted and I couldn't let him stay on the streets! It's getting colder now and he's just a small puppy!"

"He has fur to keep him warm." I grunted

"Dazai!" (Y/N) exclaimed "He's just a puppy! I visited a vet nearby before coming here and she said, that he's not even 3 months old. He wouldn't have survived!"

Groaning and frowning, I entered our shared apartment, leaving the white ball behind me, and took off my shoes and coat and headed to the bedroom.

The creature followed me.

"He seems to like you~" (Y/N) chuckled, following me as well

"I don't like him though." I sighed, before taking off my bolo tie and my vest "You know, that I don't like dogs. They're stupid. They don't even think twice before running to you and they never put head over heart. It's annoying."

"Dazai, can I tell you something, that you might not like~?" (Y/N) asked

"Sure."

"You don't like dogs because they remind you of yourself. They're loyal and will never betray their loved ones. They indeed never think twice before running to you because they miss you, when you're gone, and they love you wholeheartedly~ Just like them, you never doubt risking your life to save someone, who's dear to you, yet you're trying not to show this soft part of you and that's why you dislike them."

I stayed silent.

I didn't have anything to answer, nor that I needed to answer anything. (Y/N) indeed new me better, than anyone else and no matter how hard I tried, I could never hide behind my usual mask in front of her. Somehow, she always saw the most shattered parts of me, no matter how well or how far they were hidden inside of me.

Silently, she walked closer to me, wrapping her small arms around my waist in a warm embrace, that made a soft sigh escape my lips.

"This is our new family member, that you'll have to accept~" She whispered in my ear, sending goosebumps down my spine "I love him and I'm pretty sure, that you will too~"