01.WINTER; the wisp sings

I have always liked the snowflakes. They've always looked so small and innocent to me. Probably, I associated them with innocence because of my childhood memories: when I was a kid, snowflakes were always a way to distract myself from aching wounds under my bandages. In the free time from my harsh training, I used to be going for some short walks along with Kouyou and Chuuya and I never payed attention to what they were saying because I was admiring the winter beauty a little too much.

I have always loved winter.

Even now, when I'm a grown up and I don't work in that horrible place anymore, I still can't help, but look out of the window at the snow-covered streets as a soft smile appears on my face

"Oi, Dazai!" I heard Kunikida shouting, from behind my back "Turn away from the window and go back to work!"

Lazily, I turned my head to look at my coworker, who was irritated by my behavior. Nothing new.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm working." I brushed it off, not wanting to get into arguing with him, and went back to typing my report

"It is actually related to everyone!" Kunikida shouted, gaining everyone's attention "A journalist is coming here soon to make an article about our agency and I don't want her to write about us as some lazy pigs."

I blinked a couple of times with that goofy, yet confused look, I usually put on to entertain others, before asking:

"A journalist? Here?"

"It really is unexpected." Atsushi added

Kunikida fixed his gloves and took out his notebook, opening it to check something

"Yes." He confirmed "Today's morning, I got a letter from an owner of one magazine, in what they asked if they could make an article about us and I agreed. It could be a good advertisement to get us more clients. Plus, from what I know, the journalist will just take some short interviews from each of us. She won't know any secrets. Even if she tries to, I'll keep a close eye on her."

"Oh~" I smiled "Is that journalist a pretty lady~?"

"Go back to work, bandage-waisting device!!"

I laughed softly, going back to typing, satisfied with the success of my goal: annoying Kunikida. I know, that it's not good, but he's just very amusing, when he's irritated and I'm pretty sure, that he knows it. Pranking or teasing him is never boring, especially in the office, when he can't get away from me. However, I still respect him as a superior

I hope, that today's day will entertain me. We currently have no big cases to work on, but we can't go home earlier either because of the four-eyed. Going out to the city is also a bad idea because it's too cold for me and I haven't dressed warmly enough. I wonder, if there will ever be a day, when I start caring about my health.

Suddenly, the door opened.

"Good afternoon! My name is (L/N) (Y/N) and I'm a journalist from The Lights."

My breathing hitched as I heard the voice and the name. I take my words back, I didn't want this day to entertain me like this.

(Y/N) (L/N)? Was life pranking on me? I thought, that this person was dead already with such a cocky character and a will to explore the dangerous unknown. Oh, I still remember her. Well, how could a forget a young girl, who sneaked on a Mafia territory just for some writing project? She was just lucky, that I was young and still not as cruel as I became, and also, that she wasn't spotted by anyone else, but me. I remember, what a sharp tongue she had. Basically, I let her go only because of her peculiar behavior

We met a couple of times more, simply because she was the only girl, who managed to keep my interest for such a long time, but later, we lost contact because of my work.

It wasn't that I was unhappy to see her...I was just unhappy to meet a part of my past.

She changed a lot. Her hair is not as long as before and her eyes look more serious, more thoughtful. Her (e/c) eyes lost that hint of recklessness, that they used to hold in the past, but I wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad thing. Her lips were covered with red lipstick, but she didn't look extravagant or seductive. No, that red shade was just marking her extraordinariness somehow.

Also, I couldn't not notice how her body shape changed. Don't think badly of me, I wasn't stripping her with my gaze, but I just noticed, how she wasn't standing and acting like a 16 year old girl, I once knew for some time, anymore. She became mature and everything in her was showing that.

I woke up from my thoughts, only when her eyes met mine.

"Dazai...?" She mumbled, making Kunikida's eyes go wide

"Do you two know each other?!" He exclaimed, being shocked

"Yeah, we do." I answered, standing up from my seat and smiling at her

"Of course, we do!" (Y/N) smiled happily

Unlike me, she was definitely 100% happy about our meeting

"Dazai is just an old friend of mine!" She said, going closer to me "Well, he was, until we lost contact with each other because of the unknown reason."

"You can say so too."

She walked closer to me with her eyes, filled with sparkles and stars, that I was never able to connect to make a constellation and I felt some nostalgic feelings appearing inside of me.

After all, she was my first love, who I met, when I was 15 and in that day, it had been snowing just like it is today.

~~~

Please comment and vote! It's very important for me to hear your opinions, especially since it's a first chapter of the new story!

Also, seems like it's a tradition for me already to name chapters like songs, that inspired me