Chapter 1 (Tobias)

So, for those of you who have read my beloved Awakening From the Dream, you'll see that I'm startting this one in a different PoV. In Awakening, I start with Tris, but in Sweethearts, I'm gonna begin with my beloved Tobias. Also, you'll also know a certain initiate in Awakening named Jaden, well he's gonna be a character in here too. I'm not sure what original Faction he's gonna have in this one, but he's gonna be in their initiate class here. Enjoy. Also, READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER!!!! Thanks.

"This is for your own good, Tobias," I heard my father say from behind me. I knew what was coming as soon as the words exited his mouth.

I felt the lash of the belt, and even though it hurt, I refused to give him the satisfaction of crying out. I stood there quietly until he was done, and as soon as the lashes stopped, I ran. I ran past the three houses that stood between torture and sanity. The three houses between Hell and Home. Upon reaching the fourth house after my own, I composed myself enough to knock on the door.

Almost as if she had been waiting right by the door for my arrival, Beatrice opened it and pulled me inside. I was shaking from the beating, and as soon as she shut the door, she enveloped me in a hug that was very un-Abnegation. Then again, nothing about my life was  very Abnegation. After about a minute of hugging, I was able to calm down enough for her to take me in to the living room where her older brother Caleb dragged me off to the bathroom to check what damage the belt had added this time.

It was all a daily routine, I'd get home from school and start dinner before my father, if you could truly call a monster that, got home. I would set it on the table, and he'd get home seconds later to slowly take the belt off and whip me with it. There was no reason I could discern as to why he beat me, but he always said it was for my own good. After the beatings were over, I would run to the home of the Priors where I felt safe with my girlfriend, Beatrice, and her family. Her parents would usually get home a few minutes after I got there as Natalie Prior worked later than Andrew and my father, but Andrew always waited for Natalie to get off work before walking home together. None of them knew the true reason why I came to them rather than another family, none of them except Beatrice that is. None of them knew how close Beatrice and I had become. At first it was because she had been the only person to realize what was going on, and they were the only people who knew what was going one, and with her knowing, I felt I had a safe haven in the home of someone who knew, but eventually my feelings grew and it got to the point I was at, Beatrice as my secret girlfriend and a life away from the monster. After Natalie and Andrew got home, we would all sit down to eat, no questions asked as to why I was there, they all knew about the beatings, just not the love I held for Beatrice, and I would lay down to sleep on the couch when bedtime came wearing a set of Caleb's pajamas. I don't know why they put me on the couch to start the night since I never finished it out there.

Every night I would have nightmares about that evil creature I had been taught to call father, and I would awake screaming. The first few times, Andrew and Natalie would actually come to check on me, but by the time they got there, Beatrice was already at my side calming me, so they stopped comeing out. After a while, It got so that I couldn't fall back to sleep after the dreams, so Beatrice would stay with me holding me close, and the steady beat of her heart would lull me back to sleep, a sweet dreamless sleep. A week of both of us on the couch led to her back hurting her quite a bit, so when I woke from the dreams, she would lead me to her room where we would lay, and her heartbeat would put me back to sleep. When we became a secret couple, we would share a kiss before I went back to sleep, and later that kiss became almost a full make out session that later became even more, but the last bit was only the last two months before that night. The last night day I would ever spend in my father's house.

"Good morning, Tobias," Tris woke me gently with a sweet kiss. God I could never get over the sweet feeling of having her wake me that was.

I smiled, "Good morning, Beautiful Beatrice."

She blushed slightly and got up to get dressed, but before she started, she turned back to me, "You may want to get your clothes from Caleb's room or they'll get suspicious when we come out of my room together."

"All right, I'm going, I'm going," I fake whined earning a death glare from her.

It was the day of our aptitude test, and it was also the second day of the third month since our last haircut. Caleb and I would get ours first as Andrew had to leave early to help with set up for the aptitude tests, then Natalie would cut Beatrice's hair.

I did as bid, and headed to Caleb. There was one thing I knew about Caleb that would probably shock his sister and his entire family, and that was that no matter how Abnegation he seemed, Caleb was Erudite at heart. He ma act all selfless and helpful, but that boy would, without a doubt, choose Erudite on Choosing Day. I knew this, but I didn't know if he knew I knew, and I know that no one else knew it at all. As for me, no matter what my test result, I was going to pick whatever faction Beatrice did, and that was a fact. No matter how much I wanted to escape that horrible creature I call a father, Marcus Eaton, if Beatrice chose to remain Abnegation, I would too because no matter how much I feared my father, I feared loosing her even more.

We ate breakfast and got our hair cut before heading off to catch the bus. Thankfully, like Andrew, Marcus had to leave early as both of them were Abnegation leaders and therefor had to help set up for the aptitude tests. The tests that would tell ys where we belonged. As soon as we reached the school, we all headed to the room that only the sixteen year olds got to see, and in Caleb's case the almost seventeen year olds. Caleb turned sixteen literally the day after choosing day the year before, and therefore, he had to in the same class as Beatrice and I.  Every sixteen year old was to be called up in alphabetical order according to last name, and when Choosing Day came, they would all be called upon in the reverse order. When my trun came, I slowly walked to the room almost scared of what my results would be.

I was greeted by a Dauntless woman named Tori, and she was to administer my test. Typically, Abnegation would be the only group willing to volunteer for the job of aptitude test administration, but other factions had to help out in the case of Abnegation sixteen year olds, and the only group willing to take that spot was the Dauntless, so there were two testing rooms set aside for the Dauntless testers to take care of the Abnegation children.

The testing room was filled with mirrors, so everywhere I looked, I was faced with my image, and it actually made me feel really uneasy. I wasn't used to seeing myself in a mirror as the Abnegation felt that looking at oneself would lead to selfishness, and that was what they wanted to prevent. Tori led me to a chair in the center of the room, and told me to relax into the seat so she could inject the aptitude test serum into my bloodstream. I closed my eyes when the needle was stuck into me, and when I opened them, I was in front of a table with a knife and a piece of cheese.

"Choose," the voice of Tori said.

I hated cheese by itself, so figuring I would probably have to eat it, I picked up the knife, and the scene changed to a dog running at me. What was it that Beatrice had told me when we were learing about dogs in school? Oh yeah, bow down in submission and it won't hurt you. I did as she had told me a while before and bowed down to show it I wasn't afraid, even though I was. It calmed down and let me pet it before a little girl showed up. The dog went to attack her, and I didn't even think before throwing myself onto the dog to protect her. I still had the knife, but I really didn't want to hurt the creature, so I threw it aside and just held the dog down before I woke.

"At first choosing the knife, I thought you'd be Dauntless," Tori smiled, "but you really didn't show traits of Dauntless except when you showed the dog you weren't afraid of it. You're simply Abnegation."

I nodded and went to find Beatrice. I figured I'd tell her my results when we got back to her house since her parents had offered for me to just come straight to their house after the aptitude tests so that he couldn't hurt me before I had to make my choice. I could choose however I wanted no matter what the test said I was. It didn't matter, as long as we felt it was where we belonged. Soon enough, It was Beatrice's turn.

Okay, first I want to say I'm gonna skip the Aptitude test for Tris's Chapter and go straight to after it. Just so you know when the next chapter is done, but read the rest of this Author's Note to find out about when I'll post the next chapter. So, for those who didn't read the entire description, I'm gonna tell you now that for every chapter, I want at least one comment and FOUR votes before I will post then next chapter. Also, I will not be posting between the 23rd of June and the 2nd of July at all due to a trip I'm going on. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the story.