28 - Suicide Mission

"All ships, report in."

"IMS Byzantine, standing by."

"IMS Nautilus, standing by."

"EOS Cheng Lorck, standing by."

"The MCS Scarlet Pine is standing by.

"IMS Drakon, standing by ..."

One by one, the frigates of the Embers' fleet checked in with the flagship. The communications officer on the bridge flashed a green light in conjunction with each confirmation of a vessel as Fenrir stood over their shoulder, clearing them for departure.

Tobias looked around the bridge- technically his bridge- at somewhat of a disadvantage. He'd never gotten the chance to lead a fleet as an admiral, and wasn't planning to start now. The only reason he was here at all was due more to formality than experience- that, and the fact that he doubted anyone was going to tell him no. Still, dressed in his Pilot suit, he certainly stood out amongst the present crew.

They were finally going to hit Regis. He wanted to see firsthand what they were up against.

"Never quite got around to renaming all these old IMC and Militia ships. Glad to have a few EOS vessels, but ... guess we had a few higher priorities to take care of."

He turned to his right to see Barker standing there, flashing him that same euphoric grin of drunkenness that most knew him for. Maybe he'd become such an alcoholic that it was the only smile the man could manage anymore.

He shrugged in mock-nonchalance. "You could say that."

Giving a low chuckle, Barker returned his attention to the bridge. "Not used to being in the seat of command, huh kid?"

Tobias shook his head. "I've lead small teams before, on Erebus and Harmony- but never something like this. It feels ... different."

"How so?"

"Lives always depended on us- on me. I was responsible for many, but only because they'd die if I failed. Now, I'm sending men and women directly to their deaths just to succeed."

With a tired sigh, the former ACES commander clapped one hand on his shoulder. The weight of his fingers pressed into Tobias' muscle was only matched by the heaviness in his voice. "Unfortunately, those are just two sides of the same coin. I found that out the hard way, stepping onto this bridge for the first time."

He gestured to the deck around them. "I never thought I'd be here, coordinating an effort like this. I was always the flyboy- 'best damn pilot on the frontier,' they said. Whether I was helping James, or Sarah ... I was content to be in the background, just to be a part of things."

Slowly, he trailed off and a hard expression replaced his more common one of humor. "Like Fenrir said, I expected to drink myself to death in a bar one day, or go down with my ship in a blaze of glory. But this war needed a leader, so ... that's what I became."

Once more, he clapped Tobias on the back with a wide smile before waving for him to follow. "You probably know a thing or two about that, don't you?"

Tobias would never quite understand how the man could go from somber survivor to cheerful drunk at the drop of a hat, but he opted to simply keep his mouth shut and follow.

Stepping next to Fenrir, Barker listened to the rest of the fleet as they finished reporting in.

"... EOS Sarah Briggs, ready to fight."

"MCS Cardea, standing by."

"IMS Persephone, standing by.

With a satisfied nod, the communications officer turned to Barker. "That's all of them, Captain Taube. The fleet is awaiting your order, sir."