Chapter 14: "Two is our limit."

Start from the beginning

"Hey" I feel a nudge into my side.

I look up and see Kane sitting besides me with a smile, which is wiped away when he sees my face.

Lucky him. He gets to put up with my brooding.

"Hey" I force a smile.  "No work tonight?"

"No, I hired a part time bartender for the weekends."  He looks out to the field with genuine interest in the game.

A few months ago I would have been excited to have Kane sitting next to me at this game. He may have been three years older but he was my crush.  He had been my crush since the age of ten.  Eight years of liking one boy and Jax changed it in a few months.

He looks to my dad and smiles "Hows it going tonight Mr. Brooks?"

"Good Kane.  How's your mom?  I heard she started another round of chemo..." my dad begins a conversion with him.  My dad always loved Kane.  He was practically like one of his kids.

I tune them both out and go back to setting my head in my hands.  That is until I hear them mention Felix.

"Yeah he did mention he was coming home for prom" Kane laughs.  "He didn't even go to his own..."

My head looks up to Kane and I lift a brow.  "Felix is going to prom this weekend?"

"Yeah... didn't your friend tell you that?  We totally called that right Gabs... he has a thing for her" he laughs.

I force a laugh so loud that my dad hears me.  "That's just awesome.  Felix doesn't even go here anymore and he gets to hang out with my friends and go to my senior prom!"

"Gabby..." my dad shakes his head with frustration.

"You aren't going to prom?" Kane nudges me again. "I thought you'd go with Tyler... he doesn't shut about you."

I cringe at the sound of his name. If that schmuck wouldn't have been on my porch...

"No.  I wouldn't go with him, he asked.  I'm grounded until graduation anyways and I'm not allowed to leave my house."

He frowns and looks over to my dad, he knows how overprotective he can be.  But part of this was Kane's fault.  I played a harmless game of pool with Jax, he didn't need to tattle.

My head falls back into my hands.  I want to go home.

"Dan can I take your daughter to her senior prom?"

Again my head flies back up so I can look at Kane.  His eyes are fixed on me as he dishes out a smirk. 

Did he seriously just ask that?

"Have her home by ten."

I turn to my dad with my eyes bulging.  He says nothing to me, just keeps his eyes on the field. 

Did he seriously just say yes to that?!

I look back to Kane, who now has a huge grin across his face as he looks at me.  "I will pick her up at six and have her home at nine forty-five Mr. Brooks."

"That's what I like to hear Porter" my dad chuckles beside me.

My eyes don't leave Kane's as I begin to breathe heavy. "You're taking me to prom?"

"Maybe it's time we figured out what this is Gabs" he shrugs.  "It'll be fun.  You, me, Felix and new girl."

I smile and nod to him, then turn my head to the field to watch Sydney's game. 

I'm going to prom with Kane?  What the hell is happening?

His hand grabs mine and he intertwines our fingers.  I stare down at them and back up to Kane as he watches the game.  He doesn't look back to me, just gives my hand a reassuring squeeze.  My dad obviously sees this and is saying nothing. 

So here I sat, next to my dad, holding Kane's hand as we watched my little sister play softball.  My dad liked Kane, Kane liked me...

I liked the criminal across the street.