Mat Barzal (New York Islanders)

Mat's POV
Today's practice was extremely rough and I was looking forward to nothing more than laying in my big comfy bed with my beautiful girlfriend and watching TV. I walked into our apartment and it was quiet, which was weird. Usually the TV or music was playing. I knew she was home because her car was in the driveway.

"Babe! I'm home!" I yelled out to her, with no response. I checked the kitchen, she wasn't there. She wasn't in the TV room, or the bathroom. I checked her study room and there she was. Sitting on the floor with papers flown all over the table and floor around her.

She was wearing her hair in a crazy messy bun with one of my Thunderbirds sweatshirts and a pair of PJ shorts. I smiled at her and she looked down at her papers. She twirled her pencil between her fingers and began trying to solve a question.

I just watched her until she chucked her pencil at the wall and pushed her paper to the side. I jumped, startled at her sudden movement. She laid down on the carpeted floor and I thought she was just taking a break, but when she burst into tears I immediately ran to her side.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" I asked her as her loud sobs shook her body. "I'm so stupid, I'm never gonna be able to finish this homework and I'm never gonna pass college." She cried out and my heart broke.

"Baby, you're the smartest person I know." I tried to tell her but she just kept crying. I rubbed her arm as she was still laying on her back on the floor. "Can you sit up and look at me please?" I asked her softly and she sat up slowly, looking down at her feet.

"Look me in the eyes." I said and she looked up slowly, her eyes filled with tears. I reached out and wiped her tears and then grabbed both of her hands in mine, setting our hands on each of my knees. "You look at me and you listen to me. You are not stupid. You are unbelievably smart. You are the hardest working girl I know. You are gonna pass with flying colors and I know you are. You can't be so hard on yourself." I told her, leaning my forehead against hers.

"It's just so much and I don't know if I can do it." She whispered and I kissed her nose. "You are so smart. You can do anything you put your mind to, my love. I promise you, you will do amazing on this test you're studying for. How about a study break?" I asked her and she shook her head.

"I can't. I need to study for this test. It's tomorrow and I'm gonna fail." She told me and I shook my head. "Babe, it's almost 12. You need a break. Your class is at 3 tomorrow, you can study tomorrow." I tried to retaliate but she refused. "Mathew, just stop! You don't know what it's like! Just please, leave me alone." She yelled and I was startled. I let go of her hands and stood up. "Okay, I'm sorry I bugged you." I told her and got up, leaving the room.

I grabbed blankets out of the cupboard and made myself a bed on the couch. If she wanted space, I was gonna give her space.
——-

Your POV
I sighed after I realized how bitchy I was to Mathew. He was just trying to help me, he had a rough game. I saw the score and I knew he would be upset and I still cared more about my dumb test.

I was almost done with the worksheet, but just thinking about finishing it made my head pound. I picked up all the notes pages and the pencil I threw and shoved them into my binder, cleaning up my study room. I wanted to cry thinking about how terrible I had been to Mathew. I walked out of my study room and I saw him sleeping on the couch. I smiled to myself and I walked over to him.

I bent down and ran my fingers through his hair, kissing his forehead softly. He groaned and stretched out his limbs, his eyes opening slowly. "Hi, baby." I whispered and he smiled. "How long was I out for? Are you done studying?" He asked and I smiled. "Ya, I'm done, Mat. You were maybe out for 30 minutes. I'm really sorry I snapped at you. I'm just stressed and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. You just wanted to snuggle and I was a complete bitch. But now I really need snuggles so will you please forgive me so we can go lay in our big comfy bed." I joked and he laughed.

"Of course, baby. Don't worry about it, I completely understand your stress. But yes, let's go cuddle." He stood up and I thought he was gonna walk beside me, but he scooped me up and threw me over his shoulder, carrying me up to our room. I giggled and slapped his butt, my face right in his back. He squealed and I laughed, laughing even harder when he tossed me onto our bed and hovered over top of me.

He leaned down and kissed my forehead, nose, both cheeks, and just when I thought he was leaning in to kiss my lips he attacked my face in kisses, tickling my face. I squealed under him and hit him, begging him to stop. "Mathew, stop that!" I yelled and he continued his kissing rampage. "I will only stop if you say Mathew is the most beautiful boy you've ever seen!" He yelled and I said it back, only so he would stop.

"Good girl." He told me as if I were a dog. I just rolled my eyes and leaned in, finally getting the kiss on the lips I needed. I melted into it and leaned back onto our bed. "I love you, Maty." I told him and he smiled. "Love you more, baby girl."

i low key hate this. but i love mat so it's ok. requests are open!