Chapter 12: "What's your name?"

Start from the beginning

"Wait," Courtney holds her hand up to me and smiles.  She turns back to Jax.  "It's been months. You're hanging out?"

"Yes.  As I said, we are watching a movie tonight.  Her parents aren't home and we finally have a night where we don't have to talk on the phone to watch it.  We also don't have much time."  He motions for me to come into the house and I step in.

"Jackson!" She laughs with her eyes big.  "Are you telling me you have not hooked up with Gabby yet?"

My eyes fly back to his.  I'm keeping myself out of this conversation, but this girl is absolutely astonished he has kept me around this long. 

"We fooled around at your party.  Made out once in the lake.  That's it.  We talk on he phone." He sighs and looks back at me.  "Books here is a little too good at the game."

I smile at him.  "That's because it's not your game anymore, it's mine."

He shakes his head at me grinning.  He doesn't believe me.  He's probably right not to.  He will win it.  We have no future. 

"Holy shit, Jackson met his match.  Kudos to you, Gabby," Courtney walks away laughing. I'm sure this will be a phone call between her and me later.

He looks back to me and I almost feel weak in the knees.  This guy is hot and I haven't been near him in a month.  I almost forgot what it felt like to be in his presence, how ridiculously thick the sexual tension in the surrounding air became.

"Where's my popcorn, Alfie?" I grin playfully.

"It is popped and waiting in my room, as promised."

I nod with approval and walk to his room, throwing my jacket onto his desk.  When I turn I see a grinning Jax behind me.

"Hey."

One simple word with his genuine smile has my stomach dancing. My lungs fill with air, my lips curl upwards to match his, and I feel relief. Relief that after so many nights of phone chats and laughter that I'm finally alone with him again.

"Hey, Alfie."

One purposeful step in my direction lands him directly in front of me. One arm wraps around my middle, pulling me as close as he can, before he leans in for our first kiss in a month.  It's slow, greedy and hot. Kissing was not mentioned in tonight's agenda, but I had definitely hoped for it.  Not wanting to stop, but knowing I should, I pull away and grab the popcorn.  I couldn't remove my smile right now if I tried.

He presses play on his remote and we sit on his bed against the wall quietly.  The movie plays and we stay silent.  This almost feels odd.  Usually we talk through the entire movie.  Jax obviously feels the same way. 

He chuckles at the awkward silence and puts his arm around me, bringing me into him.  I can't help but to feel completely relaxed by this.  I set my head on his shoulder and wrap my arm around his waist as he sets his other hand on it. 

"This is how we should have been watching all those other movies."

His comment makes me feel uneasy.  This is how a normal couple should watch movies, yeah. We aren't normal. As much as I want to sit in his bed, being held, laughing like we do on the phone—that would actually be worse. His intentions with me rely on me being with him. Our phones are the only thing granting me more time.

"No we shouldn't," I sigh. "Eventually this will stop and you will be Courtney's brother with someone else on your shoulder."

His chest tightens against me. Jax has no response to that and I knew he wouldn't.   He knows I'm right, but for now, I take advantage that it's me on his shoulder.