Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter One

Anitus 23, 1593
(8/23/1593)

Elouise often found herself amazed by what she could and couldn't remember.

She couldn't remember the first time she met half the people in her life.

She couldn't remember the first time she'd gone to Aristol's eastern region of Estria.

She couldn't remember how the fields beyond the town's walls looked.

But she remembered once running through the castle hedge maze and tearing her skirts so terribly that her knees were exposed. Everyone had laughed, because their six-year-old princess could do no wrong.

She remembered picking herbs from the vegetable garden behind the maze and tossing them into a bowl of water. A "soup" for the orange cat found near the stables that she swore was merely sick. But it succumbed to its wounds that evening without ever trying her little concoction.

She remembered always holding Prince Henry's hand whenever they walked and talked.

She remembered his last visit and the way he treated her like an acquaintance, like he'd forgotten years of friendship.

And she remembered, very vividly, the day her mother took her last breath.

Today was the anniversary.

It honestly could've happened yesterday rather than ten years ago. The pain had remained embedded in the pit of Elouise's stomach ever since, like a bitter taste she couldn't get out of her mouth. Not even her favorite sweets could conceal it today.

"Thank you," she started, turning to one of her handmaids, who held a platter of freshly baked treats. "B-but... no."

Gidget frowned. "I know today is difficult, Your Highness. But I'm here for you. Everild and Kandi, too."

Elouise inhaled sharply and mustered a smile. "I appreciate it. Thank you."

Gidget curtsied and took her leave. Elouise folded her hands on her lap and closed her eyes, listening to the calming stream of the fountain behind her.

This spot—on a bench in the middle of the hedge maze—was her place. Her safety. Her mother had accompanied her here many times.

How unfortunate they hadn't managed to share one more moment here.

Ten years ago.

Elouise was eight, turning nine in four months. The halcyon heat had begun shifting, giving room for harvest's effects. Lily, her mother's handmaid, had fled out of the castle, crying out for Elouise.

Elouise remembered tearing her attention away from the soldiers in the training grounds and running to meet Lily. Her mother was bedridden, but Elouise was reassured that everything would be fine.

And then it wasn't.

And then she was escorted to her mother's bedchamber and sitting by her side, clutching her cold hands and sobbing.

"You... must be brave, my love," her mother croaked, struggling to keep her eyes open.

"How can I be?" Elouise had snapped. "You're dying! You're leaving me!"

Her mother had then pulled her right hand free and touched Elouise's cheek. "One day..." She paused to take a shuddering breath. "One day, you... will have to... take the lead. When that day comes, you will have to be brave. Promise me you... will always be brave, and that you will never give up a fight."

Be brave and never give up a fight.

Elouise had heard her mother say that her entire life. Some days, being brave seemed as simple as counting, which she found funny considering how terrible she'd always been with numbers. Other times, she wondered how she'd ever be capable of being a queen if she feared the future. She wanted to stay in the comfort of the present.