The Storehouse

"I don't know how they found out Tony."

I hear mumbling and I take a spilt second to take in my surroundings. It looked like a storehouse of some sort with LED lights and boxes everywhere. I sat up and saw a cot and a glass case. Inside the glass case was a uniform made of red, white, and blue.

"Holy shit."

In the corner of my eye, I could see Steve getting up out of a wooden chair, and my memory began to come back in flashes.

"Tony, I'm going to have to call you back." Steve hangs up his phone and walks towards me.

"Hey, you. You're finally up." He smiles

"How could I have been so stupid?"

"I know I have a lot to expl-" I interrupt him.

"How did I not notice that you're Captain America?" He seems almost speechless for a moment, and then he regains his composure.

"I-I don't know. Ever since I met you, I had asked myself that question. Where were you during the attack of New York?"

"I was in Georgia getting my degree. I guess all I saw was the Avengers in their "uniforms"." I sigh, and Steve makes a step closer.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. Some part of me told myself that you already knew."

"I guess that's what I get when my boss is Iron Man." I laugh nervously and continue, "I think you owe me and explanation about the whole cop-shooting situation."

"Those weren't actual cops. They're more powerful than that. There's a law that the government wants to pass that is called the Superhero Registration Act. It would require every single "Superhuman" to go through training and register with the government by their superpower. It sounds harmless enough except for the fact it gives the government the ability to turn our powers into weapons or take away all of our freedoms. Stark and I have been trying to keep it away from government hands for a while now, but apparently they have figured it out and they are after us to get their stupid law back."

"Wow...." It was all I could say. "That's terrible."

"I'm so very sorry for yesterday...It was never my intention."

"Wait...yesterday?"

"You've been out since yesterday."

"What about work?" I exclaimed.

"I talked to Tony just now about it. You're fine. He is more focused on getting the "Secret-Ops" off our tail."

"I understand. If it means anything, I will try to help you any way I can." Somewhere inside myself I knew I didn't have as much time as I wanted to process this information. However, I knew one thing. I like Steve. A lot. Even with the whole situation, it made sense. Plus, who doesn't like a handsome guy who saved a country from aliens?

"That means everything to me." He smiles.

He holds out his hand and I take it. We walk over to a small table in the middle of some boxes, which was only big enough for two people.

"I know it's not Starbucks, but I have a coffeemaker if you want one." Steve offers.

I nod my head, and watch him put the grounds into the machine. I pull out my phone, and see four text messages. One from my mother, and three from Stel.

*Hey Honey, everything o.k?*

*Nik, how did coffee go? ;)*

*Don't get an STD!*

*I was just kidding, answer me! You're freaking me out!*

I laugh, and answer Stel.

*Hey Stel, I'm ok. Had a bit of an interesting night. Maybe you should ask the BF. ;)*

"What's so funny?" Steve asks as he sits in his chair across the table from me.

"Stel was convinced I was going to get a STD." I rolled my eyes.

"Well considering we didn't sleep together, I'm not entirely sure how that would've happened." Steve says, laughing. Damn, that laugh.

We continued to talk for a little bit until the coffeemaker beeped. Steve poured us coffee, and sat an Invincible Hulk mug in front of me. Oh, the irony.

"I got it from a gas station traveling from Texas."

"It's cute." I wink.

We drink out coffee and talk while I swing my feet under the table. That is, until my foot accidentally hit Steve's leg.

"Trying to play footsie with me?" He winks, and I laugh.

"It's not my fault I don't reach the ground." Now it is Steve's turn to laugh, and then his face turns serious.

"What does this whole situation mean for...us?" He's hesitant while saying this, and I take a moment to think. What does it mean for us? "I don't want you to get hurt."

"I think I can take care of myself." I simply state. "I think we should give "us" a chance." Immediately, Steve's face lights up a bit, and his gorgeous smile returns to his face.

"I agree."

"I should leave. I need to get a shower." I smell my shirt and roll my nose up at the smell. I definitely need a shower.

"Can I take you back to your apartment?"

I nod my head yes. Steve grabs my hand and immediately I feel tingles run up and down my arm. He leads me past towering boxes and endless cement until we reach a door. With the clang of the door closing, I decided to leave all my worries behind like the closing door. I could fend for myself, and I wasn't going to just give up my perfect match.

Outside of the door was a set of stairs. We walk down the stairs until we reach another huge storeroom. Instead of boxes, this one held Steve's motorcycle and about a million cluttered shelves. Steve hands me a helmet and he climbs on the motorcycle. All of a sudden, the platform that we are on rises until it is positioned in front of a door about 20 feet above the door we entered to begin with.

"It's a strategy tactic. If people walk in the front door, they fall. However, they would need a grenade to get in. So, if they actually came in through the front door they probably deserve it. So I suggest you come in the back door, dear." The term of endearment makes my heart jump, and he winks at me. "It also makes this storehouse perfect for the landing of a plane."

I look up to the ceiling and see where it would open up for an incoming plane.

"That's brilliant." Steve presses a button and giant steel doors open to reveal a small hallway, which I guessed led to the road. Steve jumped on the back of his motorcycle, and without even thinking I did the same.

"You're getting used to it." He laughs his signature, manly laugh.

Yeah, I guess I am.

-A/N-

Thank you so much for your continued support of The Perfect Gentleman! I apologize for the endless amount of the dialogue, but it was imperative for the understanding of the situation. Don't you just love how strong Nikki is? I envy her. Again, thank you so much for continuing to read TPG and more chapters to come soon!