A Second Date for Nikki

My eyes flutter open, and I reach my arms toward the ceiling. I believe that was the best night of sleep I have ever had. When I glance towards the small clock next to the bed, I realize why it had been so restful.

“Crap, Crap, Crap!” Needless to say, I had overslept. Bad.

        I quickly pull on my skinnies and a dark purple shirt. I sprint towards my shoe organizer and throw on my brown leather boots, and as an afterthought I grab my leather jacket. I brush my teeth, and as I walk out the door I brush through my straight hair. I start the engine of my car and drop the brush in my vintage purse. The engine makes a stuttering sound, but doesn’t start.

“Not now…” I bang my head on the steering wheel. I try over and over, but the engine still refuses to crank to life. Groaning, I pick up my purse and lock the door to my car. Guess this lucky girl is walking. As I begin walking down the sidewalk, a motorcycle pulls up next to me.

“Hop on!” I look over in shock, and my eyes immediately go to the familiar face looking at me.

“Steve?”

“Hey Nikki. Now hop on before I stop traffic more than I already am!” I look warily at the vehicle, and then climb on behind the blonde-haired man.

“Ugh. Thanks for the ride, but I probably should’ve just taken a taxi.”

“Too late now, hold on tight.” I groan inwardly. This was definitely a bad idea. Steve speeds in and out of traffic. Eventually I feel myself relaxing, and for the first time since riding the monster I allow my eyes to wander. Everything was going by in a blur. It made me dizzy, but a small part of my mind is thrilled with the fact that small Nikki is riding on the back of a motorcycle with an incredibly cute man. A smile appears on my face, and I rest my head on Steve’s back. Finally, we pull up to Stark Industries.

“Wait, how did you know where I wanted to go?”

“You told me last night…” His voice trails off.

“Right. Well thanks for the ride, but I’m really late for work.” Why am I so awkward?

“Right. Well maybe after you get off of work, or sometime, um” He clears his throat, “Maybe we could go out for dinner again? Or coffee?  There’s a great coffee place down the street, or we could always do some-“

“Coffee is fine.” I smile at his bit of awkwardness. Guess I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t comfortable with the whole dating thing.

“Right. What time do you get off work?”

“Six.” I answer.

“Okay, I’ll see you then.”

“See ya.” I walk away from his motorcycle, smiling the whole time.

 When I walk through the double doors, Stel comes up to me. Instantly, I freeze.

“Look, I know I have a lot to explain to you, but you’re already late. Mr. Stark wants you in his office ASAP, and no it’s not about what happened last night.” My best friend is in her business mood, which means to not mess with her.

“Okay. You aren’t off the hook though, Ill calling you up tonight to make a date for coffee or something.” Stel smiles a bit, then shoos me off to the big man’s office. Gulping, I knock on his door.

“Come in.”

Here goes nothing.