Strange Occurrences

~Nikki’s POV~

            The coffee stain on my suit probably didn’t help my bad day. How a day can start out so good and end so bad, I have no idea. I sighed and focused on the task ahead of me: finding a time to meet with Mr. Stark to ask for a new Mac. It’s times like this that I wished I was my own boss, or that I had a management boss. But, no, everything had to go through the big man himself.

“You look like you could use a new computer.” I looked up, startled. Mr. Stark’s smirk looked down on me. Literally.

“Um..yes. Sir. I was just about to come find you and talk to you.” I stood to my feet hastily and smoothed out my skirt, cursing the stain.

“Well, we will have to see about that. Until then, you may use the prototype for the StarkTop." I gulped as I glanced at the cart full of the “Stark Laptop” prototypes. Most likely, they would explode. Or, knowing my luck, they would implode.

“I’m just kidding, you know. You should really loosen up. I’m not about to lose my best employee to a freak accident.” I let out the breath I had been holding in, and laughed lightly.

“Right. Well I can always go check up on the progress of the employees while I wait for delivery.” I say, a small smile on my face, hoping to relieve some of the tension.

“How about instead, you go home and ready yourself for a date.”

“Um, excuse me?” I said, looking at my boss with a surprised face. “You may fire me, but I am in no way going to date my boss.” I say, cussing under my breath. That was not supposed to come out of my mouth. A surprised look crosses Mr. Stark’s face, and then he laughed lightly.

“Not with me, dear, but I am setting you up on a blind date.” I had heard some crazy things about Mr. Stark, but the thought of him setting me up on a blind date had never crossed my mind.

“Um, sir, excuse me asking, but why?”

“Let’s just say I found someone interested, plus if I see one more day where you stay after everyone is gone and you are still working I will probably cut off your power at a certain time.”  The look on his face indecipherable.

“Okay..” My voice trailed off as I grabbed my bag.

~~~~~~~~~

               I took the bus home. Nothing unusual there, thank the good Lord above. I had just about had enough abnormal behavior for today. As I closed the door of my flat, I noticed a small card on the marble counter.

“7 sharp. Don’t forget, and don’t be late.” Leave it up to Mr. Stark to not trust anyone, even his employee of almost three years. Internally I groaned, and then busied myself in excitement of getting ready and the mystery date tonight.

Now, as  stood in front of the mirror examining myself, I found myself doubting my choice.“Dress, check. Heels, check. Curled hair, check. Makeup, oh no..” My voice trails off as I rush to my vanity. Only five minutes until it was time for the arrival of my date. And me-as likely as anyone-was freaking out. I brush some eye shadow on, and right as I apply my eyeliner the chirp of the doorbell sounds throughout the apartment.

“Shit…” I still had to put on concealer. Guess I’m going without tonight. I roll my eyes at my reflection and trudge towards the door. Why did I agree to this? As I slowly open the oak egress, my eyes catch familiar baby blues.

“Mr. Rogers?” I mutter through my surprise.

“Steve, please.” His warm smile instantly made the situation not so awkward, and as a whole my body began to relax slightly.

“Okay.” I shuffle my feet. “I guess we should get going..” Steve nods. I grab my clutch and the next thing I know we are stepping out of the elevator, laughing like old friends. Where did all this confidence come from?

“You should’ve seen his face! It was priceless.”

“I bet.” Steve replies with a friendly smile.

“Uh…where is the car?” I ask, noting there was none outside.

“I…um…don’t own a car.” The blushing on his cheeks was so adorable I almost didn’t catch his answer.

“Wait what?” I follow the direction of his hand to the machine next to the building.

“Oh no. A motorcycle?!” My breathing was labored; my palms sweaty. “I am not risking my life riding that.” Steve lets out a masculine chuckle and places his hand on the small of my back.

“We have to get going or we will be late.”

“O-okay…” My voice shook warily. “I can walk. Where are we going? I promise you I can. Just tell me where we are going.” Rambling, check.

“Believe me, you don’t want to walk. I’m not going to let you walk anyways.” Ugh, why do other people always have to be right?

“Do I have to?” I caught his eye and tried my puppy dog eyes.

“Just hold on to me. You’ll be fine.” I shook my head and sigh. “If I die, my family will sue you.”

“You won’t die. Now come on, I’m sure you’re hungry.” I roll my eyes. I don’t think I’m the one that’s hungry. At least he’s nice enough to not be rude and say that he is hungry. I shrug, then climb on the back of my biggest fear and cling to his toned body with all the strength I had.