Prologue

32 years ago

The war raged on, blooding the palace ground with the bodies of Ashujans. Kids, the elderly, women, men, no one was spared. War against the Hurims took all the innocent lives into its claws. Freedom was nowhere to be seen, death and despair clouded the air.

Kimbal, one of the strongest soldiers in Ashudhar's army, a royal advisor of the Hurim palace, stood beside the woman he loved. She was nursing the beautiful boy she had given birth to two days ago. Kimbal had no means of getting her out of the prison she was kept in. She was captured as soon as the Hurims knew about the child.

Kimbal was a slave of the Hurims as much as any Ashujan. He felt helpless standing outside the prison seeing his woman consumed the love of the tiny boy in her arms.

Dhurims had invaded the palace grounds fearing the child. They were after the little boy. Kimbal would have traded the infant's life for the woman in a heartbeat but she would never allow it.

"Promise me you will keep him safe, no matter what..." she demanded, her son clenched in her chest. The boy squirmed in her arms, gurgling his cries.

"I wouldn't let anything happen to you or your son," He promised. He didn't know whose son the child was. He couldn't be the father considering Gargi worked in Kaambh quarters when she got pregnant. The father could be any one of the men who Gargi serviced. It didn't matter though, for Kimbal she was his and so was the child.

"No Kimbal, promise me in the name of Goddess Shakti."

"I promise," he said, kissing her on the forehead through the iron bars.

Kimbal's will was soon tested when The Hurim family decided it was better to kill the child who threatened to take away everything they inherited. The boy was destined to be the king, more powerful than any of the Hurim sons.

"You don't have to kill him," Kimbal said, standing in front of the royal members, his head bowed down in respect he didn't feel.

"Is he yours?" Lasik, the eldest of the brothers, asked.

"No. I haven't been with her since she was conceived."

"And yet you want to save him?"

"Yes. It is for your benefit, my king. He is just a baby, you could mold him according to your wishes. Ashudar will truly be yours with his powers."

"How do we know you are not tricking us?" the man asked, circling Kimbal. His wife held the baby like it was a vile creature.

"Tell me how can I prove myself?" Kimbal asked, knowing he would do anything to stand by his promise to Gargi.

Lasik smiled with satisfaction. Gargi was brought to the podium with her wrist bound. She was pushed to kneel in front of him.

"Behead her." Lasik said, standing a few feet away, waiting to see Kimbal's next move. The man was a sadistic bastard much like the other Hurim members. The dogs found pleasure in other's pain.

Kimbal stood there frozen. Gargi's eyes begged him to do as the man asked. The executioner gave him the sword of judgment.

"Do it if you want to show us your loyalty." Lasik prompted.

Kimbal looked up at him, hardening his heart. He knew he had to do this, kill the woman he loved. "Promise me you won't stop me from doing anything I wish to do to save the boy."

"You have my words," Lasik smiled.

Kimbal took in a breath and waved the sword in the air, taking Gargi's head in a clean swipe. He didn't look down to see the thrashing body of the woman he had given his heart to. His life now belonged to the boy she had given him.