•Chapter 6•

Peter quickly rushed down the stairs followed by Anne, who nearly went flying because of her skirts.

George lay in an awkward position on the floor and blood could be seen on the ground around his head.

Anne knelt down and lifted his head carefully while Peter slid a pillow underneath his head. Anne then pulled out the bandages that were in her pocket from earlier. It seemed like it had been weeks since she had been given the bandages.

She lifted his head once again and tightly wrapped the bandage around his head. She then tied it tightly to try and stop the bleeding. It seemed to stop it.

Peter kept George distracted while she did this. They talked about how George had always wanted to do something with his life; He wanted to be in he paper one day.

Anne then stood up, and peter said to George
"Get some rest George, I'll need you back on deck when your ready."
"I can't..." George said, sounding like he was going to cry.
Peter and Anne both looked at each other, confused.
"You can't what?" Peter asked.
"I can't see, Peter."

Anne bit her lip, nervously. She knew this wasn't good; She knew he needed help quickly and probably wouldn't be able to get it quickly.

Peter could tell by the look on her face that something was seriously wrong.

They both left George to rest and went back up the stairs on to the deck. Mr Dawson was still driving the boat and Philip sat silently in a corner, staring at the ground.

Mr Dawson asked then quietly, "How is he?"
Anne sighed, before replying, "I fear for the worst; He can't even see and he needs to see a doctor."
Peter and Mr Dawson looked at her sadly.
"I'll do all that I can, though." She replied, before straightening out her dress and going to stand out from under the cover.

The drone of planes could be heard over head and Anne instinctively ducked. But when she looked up, she saw 2 spitfires and a Luftwaffe flying over. They weren't bombers, thank God.

Anne watched as one of the spitfires get hit and it began to fly down towards the sea. Peter watched from beside her in awe. But they both became worried when they saw it look like it was going to crash.

No one ejected from the plane.

"He's not getting out!" Anne shouted to Mr Dawson as he speeded up the boat to try and catch up to the plane.

The plane hit the water creating a large splash. Nobody jumped out.

"Quick, Dad!" Peter shouted as they all shouted in frustration because the boat wasn't going fast enough.
"I'm trying!" His father shouted back.

Peter grabbed a wooden stick that had been on the deck as they got closer to the plane. Anne could see the man inside banging on the roof of the plane, trying to break the glass.

The boat stopped next to the plane and Peter began to bang on the top of the plane with all his strength. The roof finally broke and the man inside was finally able to break out.

He grabbed the end of the pole that Peter had been holding. Anne grabbed the same end as Peter and helped pull him in. Anne then wrapped a blanket around him as he sat on the floor of the boat. Peter passed him some tea.