Dead Man's Party | Season 01 Episode 03

Start from the beginning

"The answer to that," Raphael spoke, "is above my pay grade."

"Pay grade?" Simon laughed dryly, turning to look back at Corey from where he stood, slouching against the wall. "They pay vampires?"

From where Corey stood, he shrugged, looking back to Raphael. "Let's just say we invest early and often," he eased - his smile strained. "Sit down." Raphael ordered after moments passed, glaring intently as Simon nearly dropped the head of a statue. "Why won't you sit? I really hate figiting."

"I'm just, uh, just looking..." Simon trailed, his fingers grazing the glass table.

"For a way out?" Raphael inquired, walking forward. "Uf," his face twisted in mock sorrow. "There isn't one."

Corey looked away from the scene, blocking them out entirely as he circled the room, his eyes capturing the smallest details; his fingers slightly twitching. There was something about Raphael and his eerie presence—something that made his skin crawl inward and out. 

Corey stopped when he saw a blade that stretched to his elbow down to his wrist—a dagger, sealed behind glass.  Corey looked up, he could hear Simon's voice, but it all came out as haze to his ears, Raphael's attention was sealed soul-ly on Simon.  Quickly, and quieter than a mouse, he reached into the container—his fingers trembling as they wrapped around the handle of the blade.

Corey threw the knife.

"Jace!" Alec, distantly called, his worried exterior hidden in the mask of the night.  It had only taken a moment for Jace to arrive, granting little time for Alec's expression to sober.  "We're crossing a line into Vamp territory." Alec said, barely meeting Jace's eyes.

"That's the point.  Come on, Alec," Jace said wistfully.  "Cheer up, it's going to be fun."

"Damnit, Jace," the eldest shadow hunter swore spitefully.  "Just... think this through.  Okay?  You don't even like this guy," he added.  "And this isn't about the mundane.  This is about Clary"—Jace's eyes narrowed—"are you so desperate to get laid you're going to risk killing us?"

"Wow, um," Jace paced back, "there's so much in that, that was wrong, I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear it."

"That's the problem," Alec pressured.  "You're not listening.  Not to this, or anything else I have said tonight.  You don't even know this girl. why do you trust her?"

"You trust Corey."

Alec looked away at the mention of the thought-to-be-mundane, and sighed.

"Those are two of her best friends out there, her brother." Alec looked back at Jace; he was right.  Corey was out there—they were out there, and Alec had done nothing to help Corey, let alone think of him, his jealousy of Clarissa had grown so strong.

"If it were you out there," Jace continued softly, "I would be just as crazy.  Trust her, or don't.  I don't care, but trust me, Alec."

. . .

"My Mother always did say 'it's the quiet ones you have to look out for'."