The Probation Officer

Start from the beginning

"Your school is literally down the street," I argue. "And I have my second probation meeting today in town. That trumps your joyride. I'll go back to jail."

With a sigh, she holds them out. I reach for them, and again she draws them back to where they are out of my reach. "What are you doing with Gabby?"

My eyes narrow. "Nothing. Now, fork them over."

"Not what I heard."

Judging by the look on my little sister's face, she's ready to call me on my shit. She knows about my little game of pool. Either Books has a big mouth, or I seriously underestimated how fast word travels around here. I have a feeling that Gabby kept my offer to herself, not wanting to risk a new friendship—the correct move.

"Don't do it."

"I haven't done anything," I argue, swiping the keys out of her hand.

"She's really nice, Jax." She follows me to the door and puts her body between me and it, blocking my way out. "She's almost too nice for her own good. I have no friends here. Please, please don't mess this up for me. She didn't do anything for you to mess with her head."

Big, green doe-eyes blink up at me, ready for the brink of tears that could be fake or real. She whispers a "please" again. If we were back home, I wouldn't listen to her. But in this damn town, I know she needs someone on her side. We live here for a reason, and I need to let this one go.

"Fine."

"Thank you!" She squeals and opens the front door for the both of us.

"Whatever."

I say that as I walk out just in time to see the one and only Gabby Brooks do the same. Another blonde girl joins her, leaving no doubt that she has a younger sibling. The two could be identical if one wasn't laying on the makeup a bit thick and is standing at least an inch shorter than Gabby. Both carry a weighted backpack, clinging to the shoulder straps with each hand. My sister bolts past me to join them on the sidewalk on the opposite end of the road.

The bar's lighting the other night did nothing to highlight the caramel glow of Gabby's legs, and I'm caught up watching them as the three blondes begin their walk to the school. Even with Courtney's warning, my attraction to her isn't going anywhere. Gabby can pretend she holds no interest of my offer all she wants, but I already know the move she's about to make before she makes it. As the three stroll down the road with Gabby's ponytail swaying as she walks, she glances over her right shoulder. Leaning into the hood of the car, just above the driver's seat, my lips form a smirk. Her attention pivots forward again, but she was too late, I saw the smile.

She is right where I wanted her...already hooked.

It's too bad Courtney ended this one. She could have been fun.

***

Luxberg may be boring, but even the surrounding county holds little interest for me. The drive into town is nothing but endless rows of corn with the smell of cow and pig shit. Not to mention that once you actually get to town, little is open. And when I say things are closed, it means for good. Empty buildings with leasing signs, a mall with barely any stores, and the same fast food places that came in every small-town starter pack—a sub chain, a pizza chain, and a burger chain. It isn't even worth making the trip for it. Unfortunately, I'll be making this trip weekly. As if Monday's weren't daunting enough. Just like everything else in town, the County Sheriff's Office building is beyond old. They may have tried hiding the crumbling brick of the exterior with ivy, but once inside, it's clear the place is stuck in the 1970s. Laminate tile flooring and pale yellow walls lead me to the main lobby where a sitting area lined with olive-colored, pleather chairs await its visitors.