Tap Shoes

A month after Miguel's birthday party, which was a total success. Horay Me!, I began to notice the constant look Miguel was giving me.

Granted I was a bit overwhelmed and worried if the song I had given him was too much. It was Papa Fernando's birthday gift song to Mama Coralie on her 18th birthday and I happened to find his journal filled with old songs and his guitar from a large hole in the closet that was being covered by an old, wooden plank.

I wonder if he mistook the lyrics as a love song than a birthday song. The last few lyrics made it clear it was a birthday song.

"Miguel's look is creeping me out. No offense that its directed to you Angelita but...the guy acts like a lovesick school boy!"

Antoine finally groaned, raising his hands in exasperation. I jabbed him lightly in the ribs "He's just happy I sang him a song on his birthday" Antoine gave Miguel, who was walking pass by our house, a weird look.

"Yeah, a weird way to show that Angelita. I'm impressed"

Antoine said sarcastically. I bopped his head "Stop being so...weird" Antoine grumbled.

"I'm not the one whose making goo goo eyes at you"

I rolled my eyes before stomping off with a frown. Maria followed in from where Angelita stormed off and smirked.

"Looks like this confirms that Miguel Rivera is sick"

Antoine's eyes widen in shock "He's SICK?! No wonder he's been giving the weird looks. Is he going through so much pain that Angelita is the only cure? I'll go get her!"

Maria gave Antoine a weird look before pulling him back "What are you babbling about? Not like that moron. I meant he is lovesick" Antoine snapped his fingers.

"Why didn't you say so?"

Maria looked like she was about to blow off steam when the doorbell rang. Antoine stood up and walked away.

"If that's Miguel, I'm not going to go answer the door"

"Miguel's out in the plaza!"

Angelita went downstairs and opened the door "Hola Miguel, what brings you here?" Antoine's head piked from the kitchen and gave a smug look.

"I rest my case..."

Maria glared before her gaze went to Miguel whose hands were rubbing at the back of his neck.

"Hola Angelita, I was wondering if I could talk to Antoine and Maria for a bit"

Maria blinked and a loud SPAT came from the kitchen, no doubt it was Antoine.

"Sure!" Angelita said before gesturing Maria and pulling Antoine out of the door before heading back up to her room to finish another sketch of a mariachi suit.

***

Maria and Antoine had wasted five minutes standing outside with Miguel.

"Are you gonna tell me what is going on or are you going to continue giving Angelita weird looks because you are sick with love"

Miguel blushed before he spoke "Die de los Muertos is coming and I wanna ask how to..." Miguel trailed off.

"How to woe Angelita and tell her your feelings?"

Miguel snapped his head up in shock "You both knew..." Antoine raised a brow "It wasn't hard to pinpoint you gawking and giving mi prima goo goo eyed looks" Miguel chuckled before turning serious.

"Are you going to help me?"

Maria nodded "It's about time you two talk about this anyway" She said with a shrug before looking at him straight in the eye "Alright Miguel there a three things Angelita likes: Tap Dancing, Music and -"

"And a guy named Mi - OW!"

Antoine whined as he rubbed a sore spot in which Maria jabbed him. Maria smiled "As I was saying...she also likes the kind of guy who respects her" Miguel nodded before Antoine pipped in.

"You see Miguel, women are like Angelita tap dancing shoes. They can be unpredictable on when their tempo will change from happy to angry"

Miguel barely heard what Antoine had just said, mainly because he was already thinking about Angelita having tap shoes of her own.

"Antoine, you are a genius!"

Miguel finally said when a plan formulated his mind. Maria and Antoine looked at him in confusion "I never thought I'd hear that sentence until I'm 60 years old" Maria said, earning a glare from Antoine.

Antoine smiled "No problem Miguel though, what did I help you with?" Miguel was already heading back to the Rivera Workshop.

"I'm going to give Angelita a present! One that she'll like for sure!"

Antoine and Maria watched him enter his house before looking at one another "So...do you think they'll confess?" Maria asked.

"If they don't, I'm shoving Angelita to Miguel and let them confess their feelings or I'm taking the guitar and tap shoes"

Maria gave Antoine an amused stare as she made her way up the stairs "That's rich coming from you" Antoine shrugged.

"I'm not gonna let myself be involved in a romance drama of a dancer and a musician"

Maria rolled her eyes as she made her way to her room when she heard the crumpling of papers and frustrated sounds coming from inside Angelita's room.

Maria opened the door and nearly doubled over in surprise once she noticed how paper messy Angelita's room is.

"What's going on Angelita?" Maria asked and the said ta dancer sharply turned around and saw Maria pick up one piece of a crumpled paper.

Looking at her cousin's rather flushed face, Maria grinned.

"Oh...I see"