Midnight Lullaby

There were a lot of places we had been sight seeing and Miguel and I even had a chance to play at its plaza though he made sure to be extra close whenever there was a boy heading my way.

It was both annoying and adorable because he cared.

"Ay, sight seeing is over. We need to check in a hotel for the night"

Abuelita said as she dragged us off before we could even escape. I yawned and stretched my arms. My feet were beginning to get sore from all the walking and I wouldn't mind having a nice hot bath.

***

"Is this just a coincidence or just cruel life?"

I asked when Miguel and I headed to our room number. The man in the desk said that almost all of the room were full and I wonder if there was some sort of celebration happening.

"Come on Angelita, its not that bad. I mean, we've been friends since I was 11"

"But I never shared a room with a male before"

I deadpanned and Miguel chuckled nervously before turning away. I thought I heard a whisper like word like "Good..." But I must have been imagining it.

Miguel pushed the door opened and I was both glad and a bit annoyed enough that there were two separate beds.

"You take the shower first, I too lay out my things"

Miguel said and I nodded before heading to the shower room. Miguel's heart felt like it was about to leave his chest from the rapid beating.

His Papa was sharing a room with Abuelita.

Angelita's parents are in one room too and her Abuelito like to sleep alone and Angelita made it point clear he snores a lot any person within distance range of the room wouldn't get any wink of sleep.

So he ended up sharing a room with her.

Just be cool Miguel, take it smooth.

Miguel walked out of the room to get fresh towels just in time for me to walk out of the shower room with my robe.

I sighed with relief before changing into my sleeping wear and Miguel came back in with snacks and food.

"It's still a bit too early for bed. Wanna watch a movie?"

I asked and Miguel shook his head before taking out the guitar that was leaning against the wall beside the bed and began to randomly play a melody.

Eventually, I began humming and tapping with my fingers before Miguel asked me "Do you think Papa Hector made it and we weren't too late?" I shrugged before answering.

"One can never know Miguel, I have a feeling in my gut that he's going to be alright"

Miguel smiled before I lay down and turned off the lights "Hey! You said it was still too early to sleep in!" Miguel said teasingly.

I opened one eye and snorted "A girl can change her mind mi amigo. Deal with it" Miguel stopped playing before I heard the sheets of his bed move.

Silence reigned for a few minutes and my eyes were getting droopy but just when I was about to fall asleep, Miguel woke me up again.

"Psst!... Angelita, are you still awake?"

I gave an annoyed moan in reply as I opened one tired eye to the shadow of his bed "What is it now?" I asked in annoyance.

"What do you think about making our very own song, for the family?"

The idea never crossed my mind and I was too tired to even process it "Yea sure...that's great to know...*yawn*...can you to back to sleep?" Miguel opened his night lamp and I twisted away from the light and covered the blanket over me.

Sweet music floated over the room and gave a calming effect that I instinctively fell asleep to Miguel's sweet music.

***

Abuelita was not prepared for the sight she saw and frankly, neither were we.

"Why are you two tangled together an d sharing one bed?!"

My eyes went open in shock as I scrambled up but my legs and arms were entangled around Miguel.

What the heck!

Miguel and I began to hastily untangle ourselves away "Why are you in my bed?!" Miguel asked once he realized that the vacant bed on his right was mine.

I wildly look around with wide eyes before Abuelito spoke with a chuckle "I forgot to warn you: Angelita occasionally sleep walks around and ends up in compromising positions" I glared at my Abuelito.

"A warning could have been nice Abuelito"

"I'm on old man whose memory is slowly failing here"

I rolled my eyes before Mama spoke "You two get dressed for the day and we'll talk it over in the train station" Miguel had gone off to use his Papa and Abuelita's bathroom while I used our own.

By the time we checked out, Miguel was too flustered to even look at me which didn't help my upset mood.

"Miguel can't you even look at me?!"

I finally asked as he sat across me. He slowly looked up and bit his lip "Perdón Angelita, my mind's still on the...you know" I could not hide the blush on my face and I rolled my eyes.

"Blame it on mi Abuelito. By the way, what melody was that? I never heard is come from one of your Papa Hector's songs" Miguel grinned.

"If you weren't sleepy to even process it on your brain, I would have told you I'm making a song"

My eyes brighten as the train began to rumble and we were moving.

"What's the song all about and the title? All songs must have a title"

Miguel held his guitar to his chest "I wanna make a song for our familia and also to dedicate this to Papa Hector. I still don't know the title though, I'm working on it" I smiled before I walked across and sat beside him.

"Whatever it us, I'm sure your gonna make them proud. After all, you have a musician's gene in you"

"Is that the reason why you warm up so quickly on me when we met?"

"I hit you with a shoe idiota and stop giving me that smug grin!"

I shouted with a slight pink in my cheeks as I shoved a smug looking Miguel as he slowly played the intro melody of the song.