By a Thread

Jon rose when he noticed that Dany was no longer by his side. By the time he got out of bed, he heard the front door click shut. Dany usually wasn't the type to wake up in the middle of the night. She was a big proponent of 8 hours of sleep unless she would tell him that he would surely "wake the dragon." Rhaegar was the same. Jon had come to the conclusion that the Targaryens remain so fair because they never go outside; they just sleep the days away.

Jon wanted to ensure Dany was okay. He opened the front door and to his dismay, he saw Rhaella, Viserys and Aerys in Rhaella's suite. Dany's back was to him and just as he was about to put a hand on her shoulder, she turned around on her heel. Her eyes met his own and Jon could see she was on the verge of tears. She took in a slow breath and when she exhaled, her expression hardened.

"Daenerys. Don't be so dramatic," Rhaella called, taking a step towards her daughter. Dany's bottom lip protruded and her nerves tightened.

Viserys had entered the room, his expression as cold as Dany's.

"I'm not going to bite," Viserys joked, reaching out towards her. Dany moved away. "You've done much more."

Rhaella brushed a piece of hair out of her eyes, adjusting it so it stayed behind her ear. "It's been years, Dany. Your brother is not the same person he once was." Rhaella placed her hands on Viserys' shoulders, keeping her eyes locked on Dany's. "Isn't it time to forgive?"

From the corner of her eye, Dany saw Rhaella look up at Jon. Nothing had changed. It was still all just a performance. Disgusting.

Rhaella spoke to Jon, "I'm sorry you had to see this, dear. Dany sometimes gets a little riled up. Maybe it's the nerves. You know, I have this wonderful green tea from my friend in . . ."

Jon noticed how Dany's muscles tightened. He held her hand with his own, rubbing his thumb in rhythmic circles on the top of her hand. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

Rhaegar was the one who responded, "Dany and I moved our entire lives just to get away from the two of you." He turned towards Rhaella, "How could you bring us all together and pretend that we're one, big happy family?"

All the while, Rhaella's gaze was locked on Jon. "Rhaegar, this is a family affair," she whispered, warning her son to stop, "We can discuss this in private."

Dany was the one who responded, looking at Viserys and Aerys. "Jon has been more of a family member to me that they've ever been."

Rhaegar scoffed, "We're leaving. Dany will finish up her semester here and then we'll go back to New York. Good luck with your show." Rhaegar placed an arm on Dany's back as the two of them turned towards the door.

"Now that's enough," Aerys yelled. Aerys, who had been sitting quietly near the back of the room, pawing through a newspaper, stood up. Even though Rhaegar towered over Aerys, Dany watched as her brother's demeanour shifted. To Rhaegar, this was still the father who would yell down the stairs as he Dany hid under the stairs. He was the man that they couldn't bring to school events out of fear that he would erupt. Aerys was the father who was only a father by blood.

In his presence, Rhaegar was still the scared little boy.

"Don't talk to your mother that way," Aerys bellowed, walking towards Rhaegar, "Who do you think paid for all the stuff you have, your educations, your lives?"

Rhaegar was silent. Jon was the one who spoke up. "Money doesn't equate to love."

Aerys' eyes narrowed as he came closer. "Who do you think you are? What kind of low-life . . ." Jon didn't back down. His tone was firm and his stance was unyielding.

"I've known Dany for years. I know how all she ever wanted was a loving family, a safe family, a family who loved her. She found that in Rhaegar, but the rest of you," Jon looked around at Aerys, Viserys and Rhaella, "are too clouded by your own anger, selfishness, hate and desperation to care. She's tried for so many years, but it means nothing to you and now, I pretty sure, you mean nothing to her."

Dany squeezed Jon's hand and Rhaegar smirked.

Dany turned to Rhaella, "Mom, you know dad's temper as good as anyone. In all those years, it has never changed."

Rhaella busied herself with arranging the magazines on the kitchen island.

Dany continued, "I used to pray every year that it would change. None of the birthday candles worked. None of the shooting stars or dandelions. I didn't bring friends home because I knew that something would happen. I stayed in my room because I knew that it would be safest. I hid in Rhaegar's room at night because I knew that my parents, the ones who were supposed to protect me, were the ones who were going to be the cause of my demise."

With every word, Dany commanded attention. "But Rhaegar's room wasn't enough. Then it was Viserys and the evil looks at the dinner table, the pinches when nobody would see."

"Mom," Dany pleaded, "Can't you see that it will never change. Why won't you let me save you?"

Dany could see Rhaella's smile falter, her breath hitch.

"They've hurt you just as much as they've hurt us. Why can't you see?"

"I do," Rhaella mouthed to Dany. Viserys and Aerys were unable to see.

It was something about the way Rhaella's lip slightly quivered or the way she shifted her weight from side to side. Rhaella went to say more, but as she did, Aerys put a hand on her back. She looked up at him and all Dany could see was fear. Complete and utter fear.

"Tomorrow we will all be there," Rhaella said, her voice shaking. As the seconds went by, she regained composure. "It will show a united Targaryen family, the start of our brand."

"I thought you of all people would understand," Dany said, her face expressionless and with that, she grabbed Jon's hand and together they walked back towards their suite.

Dany, Jon and Rhaegar all crowded in Dany and Jon's suite. They stood there in a comfortable silence. Jon rubbed her back and Rhaegar spun a quarter around in circles.

The minutes ticked by until it was ten minutes later. Dany was getting ice out of the freezer and Jon was filling the glasses with water.

"It was the right thing to do," Rhaegar said. Dany wasn't sure if he was saying it to her or if he was trying to convince himself.

If it was a tiny bit louder, they would not have heard the soft knock on the door. Dany went to open it, only to reveal Rhaella, her eyes watery and her expression soft.

"Dany, Rhaegar," she began, looking at both of them, her beautiful, powerful children. "You're stronger than I'll ever be."

Dany shook her head but Rhaella interrupted her, "No, it's true. You both are right and I've know that all along. I just need this."

Rhaella didn't look like her normal self. Her makeup was running down her face and her hair was out of place. She looked normal, vulnerable.

They took a seat on the couch. Jon handed Rhaella a box of tissues.

"I don't think you'll understand. You'll think it's selfish or materialistic . . ."

Rhaegar took a seat next to his mother and Dany was on the other side of Rhaella. Rhaella closed her eyes and after a minute, she explained, "I need the status and the power and the money. I need the admiration."

She looked at Rhaegar and Dany, trying to gauge their expressions.

"It's the only thing I have left."

Dany pulled her mother into a hug and they sat there, on the couch in the middle of the room. Rhaegar placed his hand on his mother's back, comforting her and Jon never let go of Dany's hand.