Not What it Seems

Five years before the Targaryens move to Winterfell

Rhaella pressed her palms together, trying to control them from shaking. It was happening to her darling boy, Viserys, who was only still a child. He was only eleven at the time and she thought her children escaped the madness that plagued their father. She had looked for signs, little tells that would prove that the anger was passed down. She cried herself to sleep whenever she feared the worst.

When she got the call that Rhaegar had gotten into a verbal fight in elementary school, she could feel her heart stop. It was happening and she couldn't do anything to stop it. She had rushed to the school, ready to pack up her children and leave her husband once and for all, but when she realized that Rhaegar had gotten into a fight because some child had pulled Daenerys's hair until she ended up crying on the floor of the gymnasium, she felt like a weight had been lifted. He was protecting his sister. Her children would be okay.

What she didn't know was what her children were hiding. It first began when Daenerys was two years old and able to stumble around the house. Viserys was four and Rhaegar was six. Rhaegar doted on Dany, spending hours holding her hands as she tried to walk around the house. Viserys, although he would sometimes do the same, somehow always had an alternative motive.

When their grandparents were over, Viserys would brush her hair and put on her favorite television show. He was the perfect angel, as his grandparents would note.

When the entire Targaryen family attended Viserys' second grade recital, he had made an effort to pick out her favorite foods at the snack table for her to munch on. "What a darling boy," his teacher said and Viserys smiled.

It was when she would interfere with him that she became a problem to him. It was when Rhaella would spend too much time with her or when Daenerys interrupted his big story at dinner that rage would burn into his eyes. During those times, whenever no one was looking, Viserys would pinch Daenerys, leaving her skin red and blotchy.

"I never wanted a little sister."

The malice in his eyes was echoed in Aerys's own. Rhaella didn't notice until she started to see Dany with marks on her skin, pain in her eyes and hurt in her heart.

It was when Rhaella started to turn off. It was all too much for her. She became accustomed to Aerys and his harsh tone. His yelling was normal and she was used to his bellowing voice, but when she learned that her child had the same affliction, she couldn't handle it. She became unresponsive, abused by Aerys and his words.

All she had was her beauty and now, her kids. He had worn her down, telling her that he was the one who provided for her and her precious children. She had given up her life for him, her promising life to be a doctor. She had given up everything. Now, she was just another housewife living in Beverly Hills, longing for a way to escape.

For the longest time she didn't see the signs in Viserys. She didn't see the pain that flashed across Dany's face. Rhaegar had tried to stop it. He put himself in front of Viserys whenever he attempted to lunge at Dany.

"This is your fault. Mom was never like this before you," his words pierced like knives. Dany believed him. Rhaegar held her in his arms, protecting her from the world, but most of all, from their family.

On the outside they were perfect. Beautiful family, beautiful children, beautiful house, beautiful life. They were rich. They were involved. They had it all, but no one knew how much they were losing.

Rhaegar would sleep beside Daenerys's bed every night, making sure that no harm would come of his little sister, but still, the thoughts penetrated through her mind. She was the problem.

It confused her whenever Viserys was nice to her. He would say that she was pretty and that they had to stick together because they are family, but the next minute, there would be this rage in his eyes.

It was when there was a screaming match outside the Targaryen household that they decided to move to Winterfell. No one looked at them the same. Poor children. Poor Rhaella. No one could be perfect. We've all got something to hide. It was the stares and the talk, the whispering and the diverted gazes, but most of all, it was the note from an anonymous friend with the address to a domestic abuse shelter that made her decide to move. They couldn't live like this anymore.

Rhaella couldn't deal with the sorrowful looks. The judgement. Oh the judgement hurt the most. She lost so much because of Aerys: her confidence, her life, her security, but now, she lost her reputation of perfection.

It was probably the wrong decision, not facing the truth of the situation. She could've taken the kids and ran away from the life she had known, but she didn't. She stayed with him, even though she shouldn't. Somewhere far away. Somewhere that no one would find them. Somewhere where they could start fresh. Somewhere where Aerys might be able to start fresh.

Rhaella hoped that he would change, but in her heart, she knew that he wouldn't.

It was the day after she told the children that they were moving that Viserys slapped Dany across the cheek so hard that her face turned red and blotchy. Rhaegar had fire in his eyes as he commanded that Viserys leave the house. Rhaella's mouth opened wide in shock, before falling to her knees and wailing as only a fall from grace could cause you to do.

He was checked into a facility that dealt with juvenile anger issues and rage. He promised he was getting better, but everyone knew that it was only a matter of time before the next explosion. They had previous experience with Aerys.

Rhaella didn't have anywhere to go. He had forced her to cut ties with her family. She couldn't talk to her friends, the same friends who lived perfect lives with perfect husbands and perfect kids. They wouldn't understand. The police called it a domestic dispute. She was helpless but she knew she had to get away.

They arrived in Winterfell a few weeks after Dany and Rhaegar arrived by themselves. It wasn't the plan, but when they witnessed what Viserys did, there was no choice in the matter. Viserys had to go to treatment.

So here they all were, in this big house, putting on a show.

"Dany, could you pass the butter?" Rhaella asked, sitting next to Aerys who was at the head of the table.

Dany passed it to Jon who passed it to Rhaella. It was all a performance.