Planning for the Future

"Mom! Let's go!" Dany yelled towards the car. Rhaella was taking her time, fixing her hair in the mirror. Rhaegar was by Dany's side, holding three bottles of champagne. Dany, holding a bouquet of flowers, was wearing a maroon, A-line dress with matching heels. She shifted her weight, balancing herself on the stairs. Once Rhaella got out of the car, Dany immediately locked the car and beckoned her mom to come quickly.

Inside, the floor was jet black and the walls were a blinding white. Rows of pictures lined the space, all with tiny cards of details underneath. Dany, Rhaella and Rhaegar walked around the gallery until they saw Jon, dressed in a suit and tie, talking to an interested guest. When he saw Dany, he politely excused himself.

Dany handed him the flowers and Rhaegar went to work positioning the champagne and pouring four flutes. Dany looked around Jon's section. Rhaella was already eyeing a few photos, staring intensely at one of Dany. It was the picture Jon took of her when they first met up at Proms at the Park. Her porcelain skin was colored by the various lights from the stage. Fireworks were high in the sky and Dany was looking up at them in wonder.

"They're outstanding," Dany said, giving him a quick kiss on the lips. In a hushed tone, she continued, "Much better than all the other ones here." Jon laughed.

For his junior thesis, Jon was tasked with displaying his photography along with the works of his classmates. He was definitely proud of his work, but he wouldn't go as far as to say that he was any better than the other photography students.

"You're just saying that," Jon responded, putting an arm around her shoulder, "And you look absolutely beautiful today."

From the side, Rhaella responded, "Well, that's a given." Dany rolled her eyes but Rhaella continued, "But she's right you know. You've got talent. I would love for you to photograph Dany during my fashion show."

Dany beamed up at him.

"It would be a wonderful experience . . . many famous photographers. They're all tasked with shooting the entire show, but I want one photographer specifically assigned to Daenerys. We need some new photographs for publicity and advertisements."

Jon listened intently before walking over to Rhaella. "It would be an honor, Mrs. Targaryen."

They show went exceptionally well. Tens of classmates walked up to Jon and complimented him on his work and never failed to tell Dany that his best work was of her. She would always blush.

"The way he takes pictures of you," George, a photography student, explained, "can make anyone fall in love with you."

Jon eyed him, watching as he kissed Dany's hand. Whenever he would see George look over, he would wrap an arm around Dany, holding her close.

. . . . .

On Dany's last day working at Parliament, she gave everyone thank you cards and holiday candles. She hugged some of her friends and promised to stay in touch. She would miss them all, but it was going to be nice to have somewhat of a break before the semester would come to an end in less than two weeks.

Rhaella had turned the apartment into her own, personal office space. Rows of paperwork and mockups lined the dining room table and garment bags hung on every place possible.

"My dear," Rhaella had said to Dany, watching her twirl around, "You are going to be the star of the show. You should seriously think about going into fashion."

Dany didn't need her mother's prompting to think about that. She loved it. She loved the dresses and the shoes, the necklaces and the hair. She felt like a princess in the custom made dresses. Since she had been attending various galas and fashion events leading up to the show, countless people in the fashion industry told her that she was meant for this. She was ripe with talent.

She honestly loved it, but she also wanted to make a difference. In both law and politics, she could do so. Her work would help the disenfranchised and underrepresented. She could, no, she would be able to make a difference. What would her legacy be in fashion? A model? A designer? A magazine editor? She admired the positions, but who could compare their impact with the impact of a lawmaker and advocate for the people? Even her mother let it slip that the fabrics were not coming from the noblest of places.

"They're paid," Rhaella had told Dany.

"Paid well?" Dany responded.

Rhaella had continued jotting notes down in her agenda, not making eye contact with Dany.

Dany decided to meet up with Missandei, the person who always seemed to have a clue of what was right.

"I can't decide," Dany said after explaining her dilemma. She put her head on her arm, resting on the table.

"Do both," Missandei answered, sipping her tea, "If someone could do it, you could."

Dany looked up. "How?"

Missandei continued, "My job at the UN is focused on ending unfair working conditions. The fashion industry is not helping in the matter. Spin it on its head. Partner with us, make fashion that makes a difference."

Dany lifted her head from the table, listening intently. "Through clothes, we can advocate for humanitarian rights," Dany said, thinking through her plan, "What if we partnered with organizations that give their workers fair working conditions and reasonable pay. Each piece can have a story."

Missandei added, "That way, you could be doing advocacy and fashion at the same time."

"And my mom would love the extra publicity," Dany said. She hugged Missandei, "I can't thank you enough. You are honestly a godsend."

. . . . .

"This is their story, what is yours?" Rhaella said, pointing to the mock up for a new advertisement. The graphic designer quickly typed out the phrase.

"I love it. Dany, as always, outstanding, Darling. Fashion for a cause," Rhaella glided around the base, holding up pieces and scribbling down notes.

"Armando," she called, "Everything will be ready for tomorrow?" The man nodded.

"Perfect."

. . . . .

Dany lugged her suitcases up the hotel stairs. Rhaella had booked three suites in the Magna Pars Suites, each with calming colors, brushed wood oak plank floors, leather sofas, bookcases stacked with personalized reads and a bar.

Dany spun around and plotted on her and Jon's bed. She felt like she was sinking into a cloud. She wanted to stay there forever. Jon unpacked his camera gear, laying each piece out gingerly by the foyer.

"What if I fall?" Dany asked Jon, slipping on one of his t-shirts.

"Then you'll just get back up and do it again." Jon answered as she snuggled into him on the bed.

"I'm serious."

"I'm serious too. You're going to blow them all away." Jon kissed her before reaching over to turn off the light.

Dany hardly slept that night, anxiously awaiting the moment she had been waiting for.

In her mother's adjacent suite, she heard the door open and close. Hoping her mother was alright and deciding that she should probably calm her down if she was nervous about tomorrow, Dany got out of bed and walked over to her mother's suite.

As she opened the door, it revealed not just Rhaella, but two other familiar faces, each with the same blonde hair.

"No," Dany said, looking at Rhaella, "You promised."