Merry Meet Again

OoOoO

Shouldering his quiver and blade holster, Legolas eyed the road with new eyes. Somehow the dirt path looked different now that he was about to be heading out on it for what was likely the last time. It seemed nearly the entire village had turned out to see him off, and turning back to the assembled crowd the elf cleared his throat.

"You've all been kind to me since I first came here, and I am grateful to you. If ever your paths bring you across the Misty Mountains, know that you shall have a friend in the Greenwood."

Aragorn, who stood at his side, reached out and placed a hand on Legolas's shoulder. "And the same may be said of us to you. This village and the lands of Fornost are always open to you, my friend."

Nodding, Legolas clapped his hand over-top of Aragorn's and smiled. "You especially, Aragorn. I would be honored to show you the way through the winding paths of the woodland realm."

A tiny hand tugged at the corner of Legolas's cloak, and he turned to see little Elgarain looking up at him. Radanir stepped forward to scoop her up into his arms as Nerwen offered him a single arrow laid across her long fingers. It's fletching was red; her characteristic color.

"For the elf who always somehow manages to keep his quiver full; may you never run out of arrows." Nerwen spoke with great seriousness. Her bow and arrows were practically a living extension of herself and her pride as huntress for her family. Legolas accepted the arrow with equal gravity.

"Thank you Nerwen. Blessings of the Valar follow you and yours." With a smile he leaned forward to drop a quick kiss on Elgarain's chubby cheek. To Radanir he offered his hand, which was clasped gladly.

"Legolas?"

Recognizing Andris by his deep, rich voice, Legolas greeted the ranger as he stepped forward. "Andris. Blessings to you...and good hunting." It was a good-natured bit of teasing, one that turned both Andris and Kaylen's ears red even from where she stood at a distance in the crowd.

"Good hunting yourself." Andris mumbled, still blushing but with a grin on his face. "Take care you don't get lost somewhere in the Misty Mountains, aye?"

"I'm an elf, I never get lost." Answered Legolas smartly. It wasn't true though. For a time he had been lost, wandering adrift in his own mind and spirit. Here in the wilds of Fornost he had found himself, and now was ready to return home.

Just as Legolas was about to set foot out onto the road, Aragorn stopped him.

"Safe travels and fair winds, Legolas of the Woodland Realm. Something tells me we shall meet again."

Bowing his head to honor the Dunedain chieftain, Legolas smiled. "I believe you are right, Aragorn son of Arathorn. Until that day, farewell."

Aragorn reached out and clasped wrists with Legolas. Briefly, he hesitated before letting go. Then, in one swift motion he pulled the elf in close and hugged him.

Embracing others was not something that elves were in the habit of doing, except perhaps with spouses and young children. Legolas decided he preferred the human view on the gesture, and returned the hug with equal gusto. Then, he gazed around at the faces of the Dunedain one last time before leaving.

Gelwin had come too. Legolas saw her standing toward the back of the crowd and marked her easily by her blonde hair. Fair and composed, she lifted a hand to him in farewell. The makings of a wise-woman were in that one indeed. Perhaps it was always within her, or perhaps loving and choosing to let go of her love for an elf had granted the girl some extra measure of wisdom. Whatever the truth of the matter, Gelwin daughter of Galdir did indeed live to become a person of great honor and respect among her people. As did Elgarain and Berigost, son of Andris and Kaylen, in their own turns.