An Exile's Fate

OoOoO

The branches of the forest rustled, raspy and insistent in the chilly breeze. Always the trees spoke, even on the calmest of days. Nestled between the Misty Mountains to the West and Erebor to the East, the Greenwood was never without at least some slight breath of wind. These gentle giants needed no leaves to whisper; their eves grew so long and slender toward the sky that sunlight still had to struggle to reach the forest floor far below.

With a final glance over her shoulder back toward the Lonely Mountain, Tauriel reluctantly began the decent to the forest road. Even in the winter the former Captain of the Woodland Guard loved to climb up into the arms of the trees and breathe the free air above. Not that her new life did not come with a fair sight more open skies regardless.

Ever since the Battle of Five Armies nearly a season ago, life had changed a great deal for Tauriel. She had gone from banished to un-banished to re-banished within the space of twenty-four hours that fateful day. Although, Tauriel supposed that one could not rightfully call the life she led now one of exile.

Even if she and King Thranduil had come to some measure of understanding over the still-warm body of the young dwarf prince, Tauriel like Legolas could not go back to the way things had been. Nor did Thranduil want her to it seemed. Still Tauriel had never seen her king as fragile as he had appeared in that moment when he acknowledged that what had existed between herself and Kili was real.

Following Legolas's departure, Tauriel knew not where to, Thranduil had left her to grieve in privacy on Ravenhill. By the time she had finally found the strength to come down to the plains once again, the elves of the Woodland Realm (what was left of them) were already assembled and ready to leave. It seemed Thranduil had no mind to tarry in the shadow of Erebor now that the orcs were dealt with.

When Tauriel had moved to join the ranks of her kin, Thranduil had held up a hand to stop her. Shocked, she had felt her broken heart clench with anxiety. Was she still banished then, despite all that happened between the king's first pronouncement and now? Not that the Silvan captain was not resourceful; she was sure she could eke out a life for herself somewhere between the four corners of the map. But with the taste of her first and last kiss bestowed upon Kili lingering on her lips, Tauriel wondered if she had the heart to endure such an existence.

Thranduil's face was once again schooled into its customary blank marble canvas. When he spoke though, he words were strangely gentle.

"No, Tauriel, you will stay here. This day has seen the dominion of Smaug come to an end, and now two kingdoms shall once again rise in its place. Speak to Bard, or to Dain, whichever is willing to host you."

So that was it then, Tauriel thought bitterly to herself. She really was to be exiled from the only homeland she had ever known. Her green eyes staring into Thranduil's expressionless blue, she nodded curtly and turned to go.

"I did not give you leave to go." Thranduil said sharply. When Tauriel hesitated he continued. "Help in the rebuilding of the cities in whichever way seems most fitting. Watch all that goes on, and observe the two kings in all their doings. I will expect your report come the Snow Moon of February, along with whatever tidings Dain or Bard may wish to send." It was the briefest of movements, but Tauriel could have sworn she saw Thranduil's mouth quirk in the ghost of a smile. "I trust you are not averse to dealing with dwarves, Ambassador."

It was a jab, but not a malicious one. Tauriel's heart clenched briefly as she thought of the dark haired son of Durin whose body was even now being borne down the side of Ravenhill by his kin. Turning back to Thranduil, she bowed.

"As you command, Aran-nin."

Watching the Woodland army leave have perhaps been easier, knowing that she was not truly sundered from her people. Still it had been harder than Tauriel thought. Standing on the plains, bruised, bereft and alone, the Silvan elf had suddenly felt very small. When a throat cleared at her side she had very nearly jumped in surprise.

It was Thorin's burglar, the Hobbit whom they called Bilbo Baggins. The short little fellow looked just as much a mess as Tauriel felt, with his dirty blue coat and eyes red from tears already shed. His kindly face gave her a fleeting smile though.

"I'm sure Balin could coax Dain into setting you up with lodgings in Erebor..." Bilbo began, stopping short at Tauriel's russet eyebrows climbed by degrees. "Either that or Bard for certain would be glad to have your help." The Hobbit gestured helplessly at the pile of rubble behind them that passed for the ruins of Dale. "There's a lot of work to be done here."

The both of them half-turned and appraised the desolated city. Noticing a stray brick by one of his furred feet, Bilbo picked it up and tossed it aimlessly toward the crumbled wall some yards away. It was such a small, futile gesture that Tauriel could not help but laugh.

"Yes...yes there certainly is." She had said, following after the Hobbit as he led the way.

That had been back in the early days of winter. Snow still lay on the lands surrounding the forest, but now the moon began to grow fat and round in the sky each night. Even though February was unlikely to bring with it warmth anytime soon, Tauriel still marked the lengthening of days. Now for the first time in months she was returning to her homeland, to the halls of the elvenking. It would likely only be a temporary stay, but after weeks spent living amongst humans and dwarves Tauriel was ready to walk among her own people again.

As she followed the familiar twists and turns of the forest road it seemed her heartbeat began to rise in her ears. For a brief moment Tauriel wondered what she would say if she were to see Legolas. Just as quickly she shook away the thought; the prince had gone, and likely would not be coming back in the near future. Still it seemed everywhere she looked the Greenwood reminded her of moments spent on patrol along these very paths with Legolas.

Tauriel knew well enough the nature of the feelings Legolas had harbored for her. After all, had he not openly defied his father for her sake? Feeling a small, familiar weight in the breast pocket of her tunic, Tauriel laid her hand over the runestone that lay there. She prayed to the Valar that Legolas would find peace in his travels, that one day he might return as her friend. Life was long, especially for an elf. Although Tauriel could not say beyond shade of doubt that she would never heal enough to love another, soulful brown eyes and the word 'Amralime' still haunted her dreams.

Rounding a corner in the road, the gates of the Woodland Realm loomed tall before her. The trickling of the forest river under the bridge, the way the sun broke through the trees to illuminate the guards in their armor, it was all exactly as it had ever been. Swallowing the anxiety building inside of her, Tauriel crossed the bridge and passed through the awaiting doors. For better or for worse, she was home.

oOo