The man's voice was low, hesitating to lay hand on the elf until he had received consent. For a brief moment a flicker of pride tempted Legolas to refuse. He had only very rarely taken hurts while fighting throughout his life; Thranduil ensured his son was incredibly well trained. Whenever he had received a knick or cut before Legolas had always withdrawn to privacy and treated it by himself. In fact, he had never before received medical attention from anyone else's hands. Then again, he had never before had an injury so determined to ruin his clothes with blood. With a curt nod Legolas lowered his other hand away from his shoulder, giving Strider a clear look.

"Daernon, meet up with Beringil and head back to the village. I want scouts posted at the entrance to the valley and up on the ridge." Strider had already set to work carefully peeling back the edges of ripped tunic from Legolas's arm. "We will follow shortly."

The barrel-chested ranger bowed briefly, his eyes flitting back and forth between Strider and Legolas where they stood in the middle of the clearing before turning away.

"You heard the Captain, back to the village." He called to the others. The rest of the rangers melted away with surprisingly silent steps into the brush.

Legolas let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. With only Strider, Elladan and Elrohir remaining, he didn't feel quite so exposed in letting them see his arm.

"I trust it's nothing serious?" he asked, speaking perhaps more flippantly than he'd meant.

Elrohir had moved in closer, eyes narrow as he appraised the damage over Strider's shoulder. When Strider peeled back the final layer of sodden tunic, the Peredhil let out a low whistle.

"It sure isn't anything to look at unfortunately." Elrohir exclaimed, earning him a sharp look from Elladan. "That's the first time I've seen a dead warg leave its mark!"

"Elrohir!" Elladan scolded, pulling his brother back out of Strider's way. Glancing at Legolas, the younger twin gave a limp excuse for a grin. "The claws only cut shallow tracks, but I should think you're going to get more than a few stitches out of the deal."

Strider glanced up and nodded at the twins. "I agree Elladan, the wound are more scratches than anything serious. However, they will need thorough cleaning and stitching I'm afraid." He looked apologetically at Legolas.

"Imagine what wargs must have under their nails!" Elrohir said with a burst of horrified mirth. Legolas couldn't help but shudder at the thought, a burning sensation finally beginning to make itself know from his shoulder. "You'll be growing fungus within the hour!"

With a clear 'a-hem', Strider rolled his eyes. "Well you could certainly tell us, couldn't you?" This seemed to be an inside reference, for Elrohir instantly colored and Elladan hooted with laughter. Taking care to lay a hand on Legolas's good shoulder, the ranger spoke once again to the Sindarin elf. "Shall we go back then? I have everything needed to tend the scratches at home."

Gingerly drawing his cloak up to cover the bleeding site as best he could, Legolas nodded. Pointedly ignoring both chortling twins he fell into step beside Strider. He was unused to both being hurt and being teased, and especially not both at the same time. Still it was better than being coddled, and he thanked the Valar it hadn't been anything serious. The last thing in all Middle-Earth he could ever want would be to need carrying back to the village.

It seemed the rangers had held their tongues, and Legolas gratefully ducked past the main square and up the hill to Strider's home in relative peace. Elladan and Elrohir broke off once they passed the cabin, but not without parting well-wishes.

Once Legolas had been seated on a stool before the hearth they both set to work carefully peeling his tunic off. The garment was one big red stain across the right shoulder, and Legolas grumbled internally at the thought of having to mend the seams. Needlework was not his favorite activity; it had been years since he had stitched anything.

Starting AnewOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara