Caught in the Truth

Start from the beginning

"I am surprised though, Prince of the Greenwood, that you have not puzzled out Estel's true identity already. Do the teachers of Thranduil's realm not linger on the bloodlines of Men at all in their lessons? Was no care given to the Chieftains of the Dunedain and their lineage in your education?" The corner of Elrohir's mouth quirked upward sarcastically.

Face burning, Legolas had to work hard to keep his expression placid. In truth, Thranduil did not care much for the comings and goings of mortals, and so had not given instruction for his son to be versed in any but the most noteworthy of Second Age bloodlines of the Edain. For the first time Legolas found himself face-to-face with the fact that his father's xenophobia had impaired his own knowledge of the world. It was not a pleasant revelation at all.

The shame must have shown on his face, for the expressions of Elladan and Elrohir softened. "Ai, I am sorry prince." Elladan spoke softly, understanding in his grey eyes. "We do not know life in the Halls of the Greenwood, and cannot judge what knowledge your life has and has not called for thus far."

Finding his voice, Legolas raised his chin defiantly. "Indeed, you do not know life in my father's kingdom. That is why I am here, under guise of anonymity. It was my choice not to reveal my rank to Strider...Estel upon my arrival. What purpose would it have served to be recognized as a prince so far away from the Woodland Realm?" He shook his head. "Deem it withholding if you will, but I wished to be known for myself only, for a time at least."

"Be that as it may, Estel still deserves to know." Elrohir said. "Remember, he has extended the hospitality of his people and now his own house to you."

"I know." Replied Legolas simply. "And I will tell him. But just as Strider's true name is his own to reveal, my status is also my own personal information." He gestured to the bag at the foot of a bed and the few items on the shelf, including his knife from Tauriel. "May I?"

Elrohir quickly moved out of the way. "Of course. Estel will likely be waiting for you." Elrond's son smiled at the Mirkwood elf, all trace of previous accusation gone.

Gathering up his belongings took less than a minute, and Legolas found himself at the threshold of the cabin again quickly. He was just opening the door and halfway across the threshold when a throat clearing stopped him.

"Yes?" he asked, hand still on the door handle.

"Just one thing Legolas, a favor if you will..." Elladan poured out some water from his flask onto a cloth and started dabbing at the dried blood on his neck. "Find a hobby besides sharpening those blades of yours; I feared that even swallowing would be enough to sever my jugular!"

The sound of the twins laughter behind him, Legolas quickly beat a retreat out into the winter sunlight. There were a fair number of people about, including a few whom he recognized and greeted him with a nod or a smile. Andris was sitting outside one of the houses, his brown curls falling into his eyes as he chatted with a young woman in the middle of sewing. Nerwen could be seen through a window bent over a hearth, and Beringil was up on his rooftop patching a leak. Remarkable, how fast the Dunedain could go from rangers of the north to simple folk living life.

"Do you need help carrying anything, Master Legolas?" A young voice piped up at the elf's elbow, coming surprisingly close to startling him. Gelwin, the young girl whom Legolas had 'escorted' to dinner that first evening stood looking up at him with bright eyes, a helpful smile stretching her rosy cheeks.

Legolas looked down at the small bundle in his arms and wondered at the sense in the girl's inquiry. He could easily carry what he had even under one arm.

"No, thank you." He answered as politely as possible, still slightly ruffled from his conversation with the Peredhil twins.

"Where will you stay, now that Elladan and Elrohir are back?" Gelwin asked, her braid swinging as she started walking to match Legolas. Clearly the girl was not dissuaded by his refusal of assistance.

"With Strider. He's been kind enough to offer me lodging in his home."

Gelwin's blue eyes lit up with a thought that seemed to give her considerable excitement. "If you like, you could also stay with us! I'm sure Papa wouldn't mind; we have plenty of room now that my brother has wed and built his own house."

Ai Valar, this young mortal was tenacious. Even despite the lack of encouragement in Legolas's noncommittal response, she followed him all the way to Strider's doorstep, talking the whole way. The chieftain's home was really an attachment on the back of a roundhouse which in peaceful times might serve to receive official guests. Although the roundhouse was a larger structure than most others in the town, the living quarters themselves seemed modestly sized.

Knocking on the oaken door, Legolas hoped that Strider might answer quickly and rescue him. Gelwin was even now waxing poetic about how exciting it was to have so many elves staying in the village, and how she really did hope he was enjoying his stay. Her cheerful chattering went on even as the bolt behind the door slid back and it swung open. Only when Strider appeared in the doorway did the girl actually quiet out of respect.

Strider took in Legolas and his unexpected tag-along before smiling and holding open the door. "Come in Legolas, there is space prepared for you in the room just off to the right." Turning to Gelwin, his gaze thinly concealed amusement. "Thank you for seeing our guest safely here Gelwin. But is that your father I hear calling for you?"

With a squeak, the girl was off running back through the village on skinny adolescent legs. Breathing a sigh of relief, Legolas paused in the central room with his bag tucked under an arm.

"I owe you thanks Strider, twice-over now. Once for your hospitality..."

"...And once for fending off over-enthusiastic company?" Strider chuckled, shutting the door. "Careful my friend, I do believe you have an admirer."

Unable to say much to that but shrug helplessly, Legolas set down his bag on a bench set against the wall. Looking now at the honest, open gaze of his host, the elf prince felt profoundly uncomfortable. Elladan and Elrohir were right; he had no right to be keeping his identity from this mortal who was offering him a place in his village and even his own home. As much as he might want to forget who he was for however short a time, it was time for the truth to come out. As chieftain of this village, Strider was entitled to know that he had elvish royalty under his roof. It mattered, especially if Legolas's presence were to attract unwanted attention to this place.

"Strider?" Legolas said uncertainly, not sure how to begin. "There is something that I must tell you..."

oOo