New Year, New Problems [S1:E21]

Start from the beginning

Which, ironically, I was getting good at.

I walked into Jinx, seeing Jas already behind the bar with Quinton. Sara apparently wasn't here yet.

"I am so ready for tonight," Quinton exclaimed. "We're gonna make so much money."

"It's definitely gonna get crazy," Jas answered.

I joined my friends behind the bar and helped them finish the task of stocking up.

"Should we hang the confetti balloons?" I wondered.

"Yes." Jas nodded. "I'll help you."

We headed to the dry storage where the balloons we had ordered we sitting, along with the net that would hold them on the ceiling. Danna was a pro party-thrower, and she was really extra. The balloons were obviously her idea.

"This is gonna be a real bitch to clean up," Jas said.

"Yeah, but the people will love it."

I grabbed the ladder and propped it up on one side of the bar, readying to hang the net that would hold the balloons. Jas held it sturdy while I worked.

"How's Megan?" Jas asked. "Does she have much longer in school?"

"She's great," I answered. "And no. I think she's planning on only having one more semester."

"I thought she wanted her doctorate?"

I hesitated to answer. I knew Jas was only asking because ever since she had kissed me, the tension had been evident. She was just trying to get back to where we had been before.

"I think she's having a change of career," I finished as I climbed down the ladder. "Let's put the other side by the DJ booth."

"Okay."

We continued setting up the net, and then loading the balloons into it, careful not to pop any of them. At midnight, it would be the DJ's responsibility to pull the tie and release the balloons, since they would also be the one to start the countdown to the new year. It was only right.

We finished in about fifteen minutes, and then dedicated our remaining free time to making sure we had enough change for the door and so forth. I was just ready for my friends to be here.

Eventually the band showed and Max, our sound guy, was on top of it all while people filed inside. Jas was manning the door, which I was grateful for because it was cold.

And then my friends got here.

"Shawn," I greeted with a tight hug. Then I turned to his girlfriend. "Casey, I'm so glad you could come up."

"I am too," she agreed.

Megan joined my side. "This place looks great."

"I know, right?" I beamed. "Do you want a drink?"

Everyone agreed simultaneously that drinks would be great, which led them to the bar. I was happy to see everyone in one place on a day that had recently become very special to me.

"So, you're moving in a few days," I said to Shawn. "Are you nervous?"

"No," he replied. "I'm excited."

I smiled half-heartedly.

Although I was happy for my brother, him living hundreds of miles away made something sad stir deep inside.

Megan nudged his shoulder. "Well we're gonna miss you."

"Yeah," I agreed. "It won't be the same here."