Chapter Twenty-One: Hilton Harbor

I grinned from ear to ear as I approached the cliff. The familiar surroundings comforted me, and filled me with an eagerness. And an urgency. I needed to get to Ruby now and explain everything. I took a deep breath. I'd kept  my powers a secret from Ruby since the second I realized I could breath underwater. It felt bizarre to tell her now, but I knew I had to.
     Melusine was already at the surface when I caught up with her. Her wet blonde hair was plastered to her face, and she was lost in thought.
     "The last time I was here, I had an infant in my arms. The place hasn't changed much." Her eyes were glossed over with memories. She snapped out of her gaze when she saw me, as she had apparently been talking to herself. "I suppose this is goodbye."
      "Yeah. Guess so." I shifted in the water, itching to climb up the cliff back to my old life. I tried to swallow down what I was leaving behind.
     Melusine grabbed my arm and opened my palm. She placed a small shell attached to a cord into my hand. "If Iara does find you, smash this. It will alert me and I'll send out people to get you."
     I strung the necklace around my throat. "Thank you." I turned to the cliff, ready to make the climb. I turned around to Melusine, but she had already disappeared under the waves. I was alone.
     I hoisted myself out of the water, my tail disappearing and replaced by legs. I gathered my footing and started climbing. The wind blew my hair, drying my skin. I shivered. The harsh breeze against my bare arms sent chills up my spine. I looked back at the rising sun. It stained the sky the color of roses, and I inhaled the fresh air, feeling air in my lungs for the first time in weeks.
     I poked my head over the top of the pier, searching for anybody who could be watching. When I saw that the cost was clear, I dogged my hands into the rough rock and swung my legs over the edge. Pebbles and dirt squished under my hands, wet from the last rainfall. I brushed myself off, a streak of dirt zigzagging across my leg. I tried to rub it off, but gave up. I didn't have time for this.
     I made my way down McCord street, my bare feet running across the pavement. My wet skirt clung to my legs as I sprinted towards my house. I passed one of the neighbors, Mrs. Schiller,  in my rush to get to Ruby, who looked at me in disbelief.
     She grabbed the back of her hat. "Britta?!"
     I tossed her a smile and continued.
     Ruby's house was in my sight, the brick walls welcoming and familiar. I heard the door of a car slam shut, and I saw Ruby getting ready to get into her car. Her red hair was pinned up in a knot, and she was wearing a pale pink blouse that tied in the front. She was so close!
Don't do it, Ruby! Don't get in that car! My mind screamed at me to run, to get to her before she left. I couldn't stand it anymore.
      "RUBY!!!" I yelled, waving my arms to get her attention. She stopped for a second, as if she was confused about something. She turned around, her eyes widening into large globes. She dropped her purse, papers and her wallet tumbling out. Her hands shook.
      I slammed into her, covering her in a mass of my wet clothes. She stood there breathing quickly, tears streaming down her face.
     "Britta! It's been two weeks! Nobody knew where you were until the officers found-" she choked and pulled me closer. 
     "I know, I know, I'm so sorry." I said, rocking her back and forth. Her sobs shook her small body like little earthquakes.
     She looked up at me, and I saw how exhausted she looked. There were bags under her eyes, and the corners of her eyes were bloodshot. Relief was replaced by anger in mere seconds.
      "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, YOUNG LADY!" She screamed, her hands digging into my arms. I recoiled at her outburst, not used to her exploding like that.
     "I can explain-" I began, but Ruby just seemed even more infuriated that I'd said something.
      "OH, YOU BETTER! MISSING FOR TWO WEEKS, BRITTA!"
     I took he hand, and said softly. "I'll explain inside, Ruby."
      I could practically feel the fumes coming off of her. "No. We're going to do it right here."
      That wasn't going to work. "Mom. Please."
      Ruby's face softened. I realized with a start that that was the first time I'd ever called her that.
      She led me into the house, which was almost exactly the same since I left. The same neatness that was typical of Ruby, the same clean that I had grown used to. I sat down on the couch in the living room next to Ruby. I tried to keep the sofa dry, but it was impossible as I was drenched in sea water.
      Ruby sniffed the air. "What have you been doing in the ocean? You smell like salt. And your dripping wet!"
      Here I went. I took a deep breath. "Well, um... It's kind of a long story."
      Ruby raised an eyebrow. "I'm not letting you leave this room until you tell me the entire thing."
      And I told her.